Connect with us

Most efficient 1v boost circuit.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by cjdelphi, Nov 28, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    I've been simulating a few 1v boost circuits out of boredom, looking for the most energy efficient circuit(s)

And all of them, this one (attached) image seems to be the winner for a realitively low number of components, i built this circuit last night and 12 hours later it's still just as bright!

Attached Files:

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  3. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    The joule thief is surprisingly not that good unlesd you have a high inductance going, the one in the photo has already doubled the life of the regular joule thief!

4. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    The ebay one is actually the same circuit design as the attached image

Results in, joule thief lasted for 2 days, the first circuit i posted lasted 4 1/2 days (all brand new 2.4amp energizer aa nimh)

But the QX5252 is the winner lasting for 5 days, to make it fair i used the same 330uh inductors..

Next circuit to test with is a flip flop circuit (transistors) and an inductor...

But the qx5252 is great for low voltage lighting solutions

5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    You are comparing running time, but to compare efficiency you need to compare the output as well. The Joule thief and your original circuit are flashing the LED with unknown current and duty cycle. The boost converter would be running the LED at a contant current. If you really want to compare the efficiency, you need to measure the light output, or at least integrate the current through the LED over time as an approximation.

Bob

6. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    They all produced equal brightness, i doubt i was out much more than a few ma

Ask a Question