Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mono amp feeding both stereo and mono headset without shorting out

WadoAdi

Nov 30, 2017
Hi,
I have a what I thought would be a common issue and easy to find the answer on google but i can't !

here is my issue I have a small self-build headset tester which has a mono output which connects to a panel mount stereo jack socket, I wired the ring to ground and the tip and second ring to the output, this works well when the headset has a stereo plug. However some have a mono plug which results in the second ring shorting to the ground and killing the output.

I need both channels fed for the stereo headsets but need it to work on the mono ones too!

How could I solution this, could I link the left and right channels with a small capacitor or would that not work?

thanks

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Seems most straightforward to just add a 2nd, mono jack in parallel.

WadoAdi

Nov 30, 2017
thanks and yes that would work as would adding a mono and stereo switch, however I really would like to use a single jack with a minimal of extra components and nothing further in the panel...

if I was to feed each channel via a 5K or 10k resistor?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I assume each 'channel' is intended to drive a respective earphone directly. If so, such a high value would severely attenuate the signal, since the 5k/10k would form a voltage divider with the earphone impedance (typically about 32Ω). I'd try 33Ω in each channel.

WadoAdi

Nov 30, 2017
@Alec_t thanks I will give that a try the headsets i'm using it with have an impedance of 300Ω and i thing i have some 280Ω resistors in bits box so will try them...