Connect with us

Mono amp feeding both stereo and mono headset without shorting out

Discussion in 'Audio' started by WadoAdi, Dec 23, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. WadoAdi

WadoAdi

Nov 30, 2017
    Hi,
    I have a what I thought would be a common issue and easy to find the answer on google but i can't !

here is my issue I have a small self-build headset tester which has a mono output which connects to a panel mount stereo jack socket, I wired the ring to ground and the tip and second ring to the output, this works well when the headset has a stereo plug. However some have a mono plug which results in the second ring shorting to the ground and killing the output.

I need both channels fed for the stereo headsets but need it to work on the mono ones too!

How could I solution this, could I link the left and right channels with a small capacitor or would that not work?

thanks

2. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    Seems most straightforward to just add a 2nd, mono jack in parallel.

3. WadoAdi

WadoAdi

Nov 30, 2017
    thanks and yes that would work as would adding a mono and stereo switch, however I really would like to use a single jack with a minimal of extra components and nothing further in the panel...

if I was to feed each channel via a 5K or 10k resistor?

4. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    I assume each 'channel' is intended to drive a respective earphone directly. If so, such a high value would severely attenuate the signal, since the 5k/10k would form a voltage divider with the earphone impedance (typically about 32Ω). I'd try 33Ω in each channel.

5. WadoAdi

WadoAdi

Nov 30, 2017
    @Alec_t thanks I will give that a try the headsets i'm using it with have an impedance of 300Ω and i thing i have some 280Ω resistors in bits box so will try them...

6. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Those should suit.

Ask a Question