Connect with us

monitor 'opening jig'

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by George, Feb 22, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. George

    George Guest

    Trying to get the back cover off a Dell E770s. The service manual says
    to use an 'opeing jig' to pop the latches. So far, Google is unhelpful
    - lots of monitors seem to use one ("Push the Opening jig each groove
    along the top of the monitor till it makes a “ttak” sound."), but I'm
    not finding anything about the jig itself.

    Any info on where to get one, or how to make one, would be appreciated.

  2. Ray Carlsen

    Ray Carlsen Guest

    Just about any metal (long blade screwdriver) that fits the opening
    and that's strong enough not to bend too easily should work. By
    carefully examining the outside of the cabinet (look for irregular
    pattern), you can sometimes make out where the fasteners are inside.
    With the monitor face down on a cloth, and while pulling upward on on
    the rear of the cabinet, pry back and forth until you hear the catch
    release on one side. Shove something in the space between front and rear
    so it doesn't re-latch, then do the same on the other side.

    ^ pry this way
    ===== slot in cabinet
    v or pry this way

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day