Connect with us

Monitor is damaged (not physically)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by OdinBless, Sep 23, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. OdinBless

OdinBless

Sep 23, 2020
    Hey all, i really need anyhelp i can get, Im having arguments with asus for over a month now, my screen has wierd damage that came out of nowhere (pics below).
    Wierd bright symmetric spot, with aura and a redline coming from the spot to the top of the monitor, there was absolutely no physical damage, or overuse. The monitor is 1 year old only and was bought new from the store.

Asus's claim is that the bolts that hold the leg caused the damage, which is impossible because when i packed the screen i had to remove the leg to pack it, and i inserted half way the bolts so they wont get lost (note that i never removed the leg before). Anyway they stick to the claim that the bolts caused it.

I need help with getting a proof and claims to explain the cause of the damage, as they refuse to open the screen (they also never actually diagnosed it).
    Model: VG249Q
    The damage: https://ibb.co/XfPRnH2
    Zoomed: https://ibb.co/S6Vx1Y0
    Many thanks and any help would be very appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    If you used the bolts delivered with the stand by Asus, they should be designed to not cause damage to the monitor. If they did anyway, as Asus suggests, it is still their fault.

davenn and OdinBless like this.
  3. OdinBless

OdinBless

Sep 23, 2020
    First of all thank you for replying.
    i totally agree with that, but they claim that because i inserted them without the leg it caused the damage (which anyway is impossible as i explained).

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    I see the whole arrangement as a case between yourself and Asus.
    I doubt any third party sticking their bib in to the argument would be accepted in any way what-so-ever by Asus.

davenn likes this.
  5. OdinBless

OdinBless

Sep 23, 2020
    im not planning to link them the forum as a source of course,
    im collecting information about the damage type and how to prove they are wrong.
    if i knew enough about it i would've used it long time ago, but unfortunately i don't know enough yet about the damage type as i never seen something like that even on the internet.

6. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir OdinBless . . . . . .

Considering that the dead area mechanically coincides with a screw / bolt placement on the back of the monitors case . . .

This is then definitely a case of slam the docket book shut . . .case closed . . .in my estimation.
    Certainly one knows how the FRONTS of display screens are being affected by either their touch or flexure.
    Well . . . .then . . . . .you don't even want to KNOW about the microscopically thin glass back substrates on the BACK of that units display.
    ( But there is evidence that you certainly do now ! )

i had to remove the leg to pack it, and i inserted half way the bolts

You didn't give a mounting screw count, but I suspicion 4 ?

With the machine screws installed . . .THROUGH THE LEG BAR . . . I suspect the legs depth / thickness is limiting the machine screw exiting to no MORE than 4-5 threads extending out of the end of the threaded area that it installed into.

In your case, one of your ( DON"T MISPLACE THE SCREWS ! ) . . . . being stored within the back , was INITIALLY inserted SO far / deep that it actually rotated into, cracked and ground away a circular 5-6mm area of the displays intercontact matrix and their enclosed pixel elements.
    NEVER-NEVER-EVER to work again in that specific . . . and now non active area.

Thaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssit . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . .

A problem cannot be solved using the same level of thinking that created it.
    (In other words, if you screw it up, you can't fix it.)

7. OdinBless

OdinBless

Sep 23, 2020
    which again, the screws had nothing to do with the problem, the leg was removed only to pack it and send it to the lab BECAUSE of the spot on the screen showed on the pictures...

8. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    That may well be the case, but I don't see how you can prove that to Asus. If damage of the type described, by over-insertion of screws, is even a theoretical possibility then it comes down to your version of events versus theirs. You can only hope that goodwill on their part will prevail. Might be worth raising the issue on social media to see if others have had a similar problem?

9. OdinBless

OdinBless

Sep 23, 2020
    yes i thought about it, but i prefer not to get to that, at least now.
    but again, i looked all over for similar damages, and found nothing that looks like this...
    if i will find out what type of damage it is specifically, i might debunk their argument, and use a lawyer if necessary.

10. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Silly me . . . . there is going to be a whole lot of dead space between the inside of the back cover and THEN there is the metal plate which the chassis modules are mounted on. And then there is the space between that metal plate and THEN the back of the display, which is then going to have the ADDITIONAL buffering space of the back light illumination . . .behind it . . . . be it old school CFL lamps or currently, the use of multiple LED strips.
    Without a mechanical teardown and examination of the display . . . .I can't imagine that DISTINCT black dead area and the effect that caused it.
    Any chance of an indentation / dimple/ cavity /depression being on the front of the display, exactly upon that same spot ?
    (Leading up to . . . . . . .got any kids with B-B guns ?)

11. OdinBless

OdinBless

Sep 23, 2020
    I live alone, currently im trying to put pressure on them to open it and prove their claim.

As for the spot itself, its flat, and not a single sign from bruises or pressure..
    Might be possible it has to do something with the pcb?

12. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I do a lot of LCD replacements in various gear
    it IS physical damage to the LCD panel

Agreed

13. OdinBless

OdinBless

Sep 23, 2020
    any explanation how this could happen if i never hit it or anything like that?

14. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Any chance you could have unknowingly contacted the screen with a mug, mouse, door key or belt buckle etc when moving near the screen?
    Do you have a cat or dog?

15. OdinBless

OdinBless

Sep 23, 2020
    No, it came out of nowhere while watching a movie.

16. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    To be blunt, you're flogging a dead hose here if you think it is going to help you with a fight between yourself and Asus.
    Your local parliamentary member might be a better alternative.

Ask a Question