Connect with us

Monitor in Desktop

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jreeve17, Feb 17, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jreeve17

Jreeve17

Feb 17, 2013
    Hi, I am a beginner with electronics, so bear with me if you would. I am working on a simple project where I am putting a monitor on the side of a desktop computer so that is an all in one desktop. For the project I am using the pre-existing PSI in the computer because there are extra plugs that I can take power from. The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 171v. Yes,I know it is old, but I had it sitting around so I decided to use it. The only problem is that I can't find any manuals describing the power consumption a in it. So, what I really am asking is
    - what are the power consumptions on a Samsung SyncMaster 171v
    - can I power it with normal computer power (5V, 12V)
    - if I can't power it with that, how can I
    - if I do power it with the computer, do I still need the power unit in the monitor and how would I use it

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The monitor requires +5 and +12, but also a high voltage source for the cold cathode backlights.

I would recommend you use the power supply that came with it.

3. Jreeve17

Jreeve17

Feb 17, 2013
    If I were to use the power supply that came with it, how could I combine the comp and monitor cords so that there would only be one cord?

4. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
Ask a Question