Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Module Circuit broken?

theanton205

Jul 24, 2020
Hello, I recently had to unsolder pins off of my module, however, I believed I may have messed things up horribly. I do not want to release my true age, but I am fairly young and below the age of 15. I am new to soldering and was always able to solder things on, but this time I took the pins off and may have broken it. I have attached an image of what happened, so please let me know of the technical term of what happened and if there is any way to fix it. It is Elechouse's Voice Recognition Module V3.1, and it is fairly high in my price range. I only need the RXD and TXD pins working, as there are other pins for 5V and GND. So if there is any way of saving it, please help. Thank you in advanced.

Kind Regards,
Anthony

Attachments

• IMG_9869.jpg
    IMG_9869.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9871.jpg
    IMG_9871.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 12

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, it looks like you have ripped several of the pads off.

For future reference, it is probably better to lever off the plastic joining all the pins before removing the pins one by one. For short single-in-line connectors like the one in this board, that process often works best.

I generally try to buy boards without the connectors because it is easier to add them later than to remove them.

You may be able to trace what was connected to the pins and bodge a wire somewhere, however this isn't guaranteed because, in some cases there are inner layers that you can't see.

If you have another board, you might try tracing connections from the header pins on it.

theanton205

Jul 24, 2020
Thank you so much for replying (*steve*),

Once again, I am new to this. Could you maybe describe this in more detail, or if you have any other sources that would be great. For example, what is bodge a wire?

Thanks again,
Anthony

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
14?

Bodge is an old mans term (usually over 15), to add a wire from one point to another. Us young men (just over 15) call it a bridge. To deliberately connect two points together.
But either way, it’s a simple repair where the original PCB trace has broken. So you bridge the break with some wire.
Or bodge a wire across two points. Same thing.

Martin

Last edited:

narkeleptk

Oct 3, 2019
Personally I would secure a new header (the pins) then I would jumper the vcc and ground pins to the large capacitor. The tx/rx I would scratch away the red solder mask on their traces and attach a small wire there to jumper to the header.
Clipboard03.jpg

You could also follow the traces and connect the rx/tx where they make connections with components.
Clipboard01.jpg Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I can foresee surface mount bits falling off or destroyed all over.