Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Modulating Hydraulics

Bob10167

Sep 29, 2016
Hello,

I am making hydraulics that modulates on a linear axis and I need something like a linear solenoid to drive a piston . I need a maximum force of 60 newton meters; however I need to be able to apply any force in between 0 and 60 newton meters. The piston only has to travel a maximum 15 mm.

Can someone help me to find something electronic to drive the piston.

Thanks,

Bob

darren adcock

Sep 26, 2016
Hi Bob. Try typing linear attenuator into google instead, there are lot's of window/door type openers and they often come with the drivers etc. I've seen one today that was rated 60n but couldn't find it again. If you need anything more specific, someone else will help.

Best

D

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Hello,

I am making hydraulics that modulates on a linear axis and I need something like a linear solenoid to drive a piston . I need a maximum force of 60 newton meters; however I need to be able to apply any force in between 0 and 60 newton meters. The piston only has to travel a maximum 15 mm.

Can someone help me to find something electronic to drive the piston.

Thanks,

Bob
It is unclear what you are trying to DO. What does it mean "hydraulics that modulates on a linear axis"? Why do you specify a "maximum force of 60 newton meters" instead of 60 newtons? Newton meters is a torque or a moment, not a force. Some clarification, please, on what you are trying to accomplish. And you might have better luck searching for linear actuator instead of linear attenuator.

darren adcock

Sep 26, 2016
It is unclear what you are trying to DO. What does it mean "hydraulics that modulates on a linear axis"? Why do you specify a "maximum force of 60 newton meters" instead of 60 newtons? Newton meters is a torque or a moment, not a force. Some clarification, please, on what you are trying to accomplish. And you might have better luck searching for linear actuator instead of linear attenuator.
Actuator/attenuator... oops... there's my dyslexia....cheers for correction.

Bob10167

Sep 29, 2016
I need to wirelessly operate a hydraulic clamp. I need to have a maximum of 60 newton's and to be apply anything in between 0 newton's and 60 newton's .

This device, whether it be a linear actuator or a solenoid, needs to drive piston to activate the hydraulic piston; which in turn activates the clamp.

Bob10167

Sep 29, 2016
This device I am looking for needs to be able to push this piston, and to be able to retract.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
How about a linear actuator compressing a helical spring which pushes the piston? The force would be a function of distance moved by the actuator.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I need to wirelessly operate a hydraulic clamp. I need to have a maximum of 60 newton's and to be apply anything in between 0 newton's and 60 newton's .

This device, whether it be a linear actuator or a solenoid, needs to drive piston to activate the hydraulic piston; which in turn activates the clamp.
If you want variable control, you would need some kind of feedback to monitor the degree of pressure required.
M.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
You would need to signal-condition the sensor output and then use that to digitally modulate a wireless transmitter co-located with the sensor. The "easiest" solution might be an Arduino Uno with an XBee Bluetooth shield communicating with another similarly equipped Arduino with Bluetooth shield. This second Arduino would "read" the real-time data from the hydraulic actuator and use it to control the piston of the "master" cylinder that actuates the remote force-producing cylinder. Since 60 newtons is about 13.5 pounds-force, the sensor you have chosen has the required range.

The link you posted didn't say anything about accuracy and repeatability, but this appears to be resistive compression sensor, un-compensated for temperature, perhaps with a high-level analog output suitable for digitization directly by an Arduino with a 0 to +5 V DC input capability. Many of these sensors operate as if they were pressure-actuated potentiometers, which makes application fairly simple compared to traditional load cells with strain gauge transducers. More information on the sensor and what you are trying to DO would be helpful.

Since hydraulic fluid is virtually un-compressible, the force required to actuate the piston on the "master" cylinder will depend on the compressibility of the the remote load. If the load is "stiff" you would be well advised to place a linear spring between the "master" cylinder piston rod and whatever mechanism you choose to drive it, as @Alec_t mentioned in his post #7. This will allow a linear displacement of the actuator mechanism to be translated into a variable linear force at the remote load. A simple actuator is a stepper motor driving a lead screw with a nut that is attached (through a compression spring) to the piston shaft of the "master" cylinder. Many such devices are available inexpensively on eBay, or you can build your own from readily available parts. If you have a big budget, suitable devices can be purchased off-the-shelf from reputable motion-control vendors. You just specify things like how far, how fast, and how much force to apply. Then haul out the big bux and pay the man. Me, I prefer to build my own, unless using OPM for finances.