Connect with us

Modifying door bell with switch?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by ghesp, Dec 3, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ghesp

ghesp

Dec 3, 2015
    I've got a Byron BY601 wireless doorbell, and I want to try and add a Z-Wave switch to it. My switch has 2 ports for a dry contact, so I've added some wires to the board. When they touch, the board sends a signal to say it's closed, and vice versa when the wires are apart - perfect.

What I've been trying to do if to find 2 points on the PCB which connect when the doorbell is pushed, which in turn would connect my switch, however I've not been having much joy

The board is as below:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as I can tell, the LED ports don't work, which would have been perfect, and I can't figure out why or how to wire them up - probably not possible.

The only thing I can thing of is to connect them to the speaker cables (Yellow + Purple) however this doesn't seem to trigger the connection so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Don't suppose anyone has any suggestions? Essentially its just a glorified switch, and i need some way of connecting the wires

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  2. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Are the switch contacts the large circular section in the middle of the board?

Martin

3. ghesp

ghesp

Dec 3, 2015
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. The "switch" is actually my Z-Wave device with has an GRND and IN cable attached to it:
    https://goo.gl/photos/Qb5iR33LWWj12wSB9

I'm trying to figure out the best to make a connection across the wires when the Chimer is activated

The large circular contacts read "Strobe", but I'm not detecting any resistance across them so I guess they're not activated

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Think you are going to have to describe a little better what you intend to do.
    Lost me I'm afraid.

5. ghesp

ghesp

Dec 3, 2015
    No problem. I'm fairly new at this so bare with me..

I've got a Z-Wave device - It's a smart home piece of kit which sends a signal out to my house to say its done something. For all intent & purposes here, in its basic form, its a battery and an LED like so:

[​IMG]

I then have my Chimer, as per the image in my first post. What I am trying to do is connect the 2 loose ends in the circuit diagram above, to a point on the Chimer which will complete the circuit above when the doorbell is pressed.
    For example - I could solder the wires to each side of the doorbell button which when pressed, would create the circuit. Unfortunately I cant do this though as the Z-Wave PCB and battery wont fit inside the doorbell button housing.

What I had thought about was to connect one of the wires above to the yellow speaker cable and one to the purple, however this doesn't seem to connect the circuit when the speaker plays for some reason.

Hopefully this makes a little bit more sense?

6. ghesp

ghesp

Dec 3, 2015
    I've been advised that I could use a MOSFET on the audio cable to the speaker to convert this into an "on" signal. Anyone know how I can figure out which one, and how to wire it together?

7. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Probably the easiest way would not require breaking into your existing board by burying a sound activated switch module in your doorbell housing.
    Some come with just a 5v hi or low output which you would need to drive a relay whose voltage free contacts could complete your circuit above.
    Or you can get some with everything included.

example 1..... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sound-Se...646848?hash=item46303762c0:g:kkgAAOSw7ThUm9Pl
    example 2.... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-5V-12...439823?hash=item33abba370f:g:ypMAAOSwl9BWL0td

8. GPG

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
    Put a led on the board where it says and see if it lights. If it does. swap it for a isolator and use the isolator transistor to trigger

9. GPG

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
    Link?

Ask a Question