Connect with us

Modifying an existing circuit board with a random switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Dover, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Dover

Dover

Jul 27, 2016
    Hi all,

Just joined up here, and am relatively clueless to most things electronic. (I can install a light switch and wire up a stereo, but capacitors and resistance and the finer points are not familiar)

I'm working on a project that involves utilising the sounds from a toy. The board has 12 sounds that are each operated by an individual button. I'd like to use just one button that would activate a single sound of the 12. Random would be best, but one at a time, in an order would work too.

Any thoughts on this project?

: Drew

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Tell us more about the toy.
    Do you have access to a schematic? Do you have access to a multimeter and will you be comfortable prying the toy open and make some useful photographs for us to see?
    Whether and how this can be achieved depends a lot on how the toy interacts with the buttons.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Yeah. It sounds simple, but wanting to do what you want, requires you to somehow separate your single activation switch from the 12 individual sounds. That's going to take an interface of some type.
    Harald's request for a picture of the board would be very helpful in helping you.
    This may be several single-pin inputs to the integrated circuit for each sound, selected by the 12 individual switches, or it may be
    an already existing interface between the switches and the IC.
    Knowing what IC they use, if it has a number will also help. We know that the chip doesn't produce random sounds, because you can select each sound individually. It'll be a matter of checking if the IC chip has a data sheet, or if it's some kind of custom IC, exactly how it's presently wired to the switches.

Ask a Question