Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Modifying a 5-switch sound board

Tickolas

Apr 30, 2013
Hey guys!

I'm a hobbyist plushie maker and have been using greeting card sound boards to make my creations talk. Now I find that the project I'm starting doesn't have space for the five switches I normally sew into the plushie, so I had a bright (or possibly silly) idea.

"What if I could use just one switch connected to a compact randomizer or sequencer, which in turn activates one of the five sounds each time I press the switch?"

So yeah, does anyone have any idea where I could get a device, or schematics for a device, like that? Would have to be pretty small and preferably use a button cell battery. Oh, and assume (correctly) that I'm a complete newbie when it comes to electronics! My experience is limited to soldering longer wires to these sound boards.

If you need more pictures or a more complete description of the sound chip I'm using, just ask! =)

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm looking for something that will do one of these two things:

Case A: Randomizer
Given Sound board is operational and hooked into randomizer device,
When the only switch is pressed,
Then a random sound is played

Case B: Sequencer

Normal use:
Given Sound board is operational and hooked into sequencer device,
Then the next sound in the sequence is played

Sequencer reaches end of sequence:
Given Sound board is operational and hooked into sequencer device,
And sequencer has previously played sound 5 of 5
Then the first sound in the sequence is played

Last edited:

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
sequencer is easy, you can set up some simple counting logic, with a reset after 5 presses probably easiest to do with a shift register. It will step through however many outputs you want, one at a time then go back to the beginning when the limit is reached. Randomized may be a little more difficult, you may need to use a microcontroller.

Tickolas

Apr 30, 2013
sequencer is easy, you can set up some simple counting logic, with a reset after 5 presses probably easiest to do with a shift register. It will step through however many outputs you want, one at a time then go back to the beginning when the limit is reached. Randomized may be a little more difficult, you may need to use a microcontroller.

Thanks! Alright, scratch randomizer for now then. Know of any good tutorials where I can read up on how to use a shift register for this purpose?

Edit: Derp! This one was at the top of the google search =)
!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Actually, a randomizer is no more difficult than a sequencer. You just clock the sequencer clock continuously and when the button is pressed, whichever output is active at that time is selected.

Edited: You would need a 4017 and a 555 as a clock. The 4017 can cycle through 5 outputs. Pressing the switch would stop the clock and couple the outputs to the 5 buttons. It is a little more complicated than just a sequencer, but probably a more satisfying toy.

Bob

Last edited: