Connect with us

Modify a projector

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by mokauno, Apr 16, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mokauno

mokauno

Apr 16, 2016
    Hi, I got an epson projector with a dead lamp. I'm trying to modify it to install my own light system in it, but it won't start and indicate a ballast error. I made research on many internet pages. Generaly, the ballast communicates that the lamp is ok through an optocoupler and the most easy hack is to shortcut this optocoupler. In my case, it doesn't work, as I think the ballast and the motherboard has a communication protocol. So I need to make the ballast think that the lamp is ok. I began to work on the ballast controller board, now I'm asking for some help as I don't understand everythind on the board. I think I need to find the good input on the F0511A and bypass it. Could someone have a look to the pic I joined ? (the upper image is mirrored to help identify vias)

Some points to start :
    - the bottom part is normally soldered to the power part of the ballast,
    - the three PC123 are the octocouplers that serve to communicate to the mainboard via the white connector on the right of the lower pic. The PC123 on the bottom send information about the ballast to the mainboard.
    - the L2902 VCC is not connected to the board VCC, but from an other potential of the ballast (yellow points)
    - The F0511A is the brain of the card, it gathers states of the ballast and send informations to the motherboard
    - I don't know what the two L6385 are for,
    - I don't know what the group of resistor on the left is for,
    - I could not understand what is the right side of the F0511A purpose...

Thank in advance,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I don't think you're going to find anybody here who is going to tell you how to defeat a circuit that is probably
    designed to prevent a fire within the unit.
    Is there some reason you don't want to replace the lamp with an OEM replacement, other than you want to
    install your own light system?

3. mokauno

mokauno

Apr 16, 2016
    Thanks for your answer, I'm planning to replace the light with a led unit, I don't want to buy a 200$ lamp...
    So I won't need the ballast anymore, but I can't just remove it, the projector won't start without it...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Funny how those manufacturers want to make sure you only use their replacement parts, isn't it.
    Almost as bad as printer proprietary operations.
    This is a good place to try when you're looking for information like this, but you're asking a specific
    question about a specific manufacturer, without disclosing the model number.
    Did you try Googling your model number with a question about equivalent lamp replacement, and see if
    anyone has already tried what you're wanting to do?

mokauno likes this.
  5. mokauno

mokauno

Apr 16, 2016
    Oh yes I did... it's an Epson EB-X7 projector. The only revealing information I found was a little comment on a Youtube video on this page : www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ktgjHzuyM
    Please see the comment of Cristi Tudor, it seems to be a good way to go, but it's for another model, the comment is dated 1 year ago, and nobody answered him... I tried to follow his instructions, but did not succeed. So I came here...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Well. What I'd do next is try to find a schematic on the EB-X7.
    On the off-chance, I would even go so far as to check the Epson website and use their 'contact' function
    to ask them for advice. It's a longshot, but you never know. It's possible however remotely, that they
    may have an LED replacement suggestion for the original bulb. Besides the reduced life expectancy of
    incandescents, they may have already had a need to recommend a more energy efficient replacement lamp.
    Yes, there are some really smart guys on this website and this was a good place to ask for advice.
    My advice is to avoid modifying what's there in this instance. I know that's not what you want to hear,
    but that's mine.

7. mokauno

mokauno

Apr 16, 2016
    Well, thanks anyway. The projector was going to the trash, I think it will return to his destiny... I will surely retreive parts from it (optics and other fun things), but I would have liked to see it projecting something again with a small or no budget. It was just for the fun, thanks :)

Ask a Question