Maker Pro
Maker Pro

model s50FH - YB01 Samsung crackling noise

AnnW

May 24, 2018
I have a model s50FH - YB01 Samsung tv that makes crackling noise, but has a clear picture. My husband thinks if he had a schematic/blueprint, he could fix it. Any help offered or should I just toss it to the curb.
Thanks for any help you may offer.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Tossing your husband to the curb might cause some upset.

Have you tried Googling for the schematic? What experience does Mr AnnW have with repairing TV sets?

What form does the 'crackling' take? Sound from the speaker? Noise from the insides? Crispy coating on roast pork?

AnnW

May 24, 2018
Tossing your husband to the curb might cause some upset.

Have you tried Googling for the schematic? What experience does Mr AnnW have with repairing TV sets?

What form does the 'crackling' take? Sound from the speaker? Noise from the insides? Crispy coating on roast pork?
My husband is not an "it". Obviously, I was referring to the t.v. Of course, I have tried googling for the schematic. My name is Ann. I am not a Mr. The crackling noise emanates from the t.v. when I turn it on. I don't have external speakers for it while I am testing it. I think there may be a communication barrier, but thanks anyway.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Take the cover off and look for the noise source. Might be arching on a broken solder joint? I have no direct experience working on plasma TVs.

I'd be inclined to replace it with an LED TV. The prices for 1080p sets have really dropped over the past few years and they use less power so you'll recoup some of the cost from a lower electric bill, and frankly your plasma set has to be a few years old by now so one repair after another, might need replaced soon anyway.

Regardless I'd take the cover off and see what there is to see. If your husband is more electronically inclined then why isn't he posting about the topic? Is he able to safely probe live, high voltage circuits?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I think there may be a communication barrier
Humour barrier maybe.....

My name is Ann. I am not a Mr.
Never said you were - you inferred that your husband would be able to repair the fault with access to a schematic.

The crackling noise emanates from the t.v. when I turn it on.
The TV has its own speakers (I presume) - is the noise over the speakers or 'physically' from within the set?

If it is an AUDIO crackle then it may just be a loose connection in the audio circuit. If it is a physical crackling then there may be a broken track on the high voltage side of the circuit boards.

The first checks one uses to determine a fault are 'eye's, ears and nose' - can you SEE where the noise is coming from (you'll need to open the set). If it is arcing then you might see it in a darkened room.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Google reveals that there are many sources of spare circuit boards for this set. If you can even isolate the fault down to board level you should be able to get a replacement.

AnnW

May 24, 2018
Take the cover off and look for the noise source. Might be arching on a broken solder joint? I have no direct experience working on plasma TVs.

I'd be inclined to replace it with an LED TV. The prices for 1080p sets have really dropped over the past few years and they use less power so you'll recoup some of the cost from a lower electric bill, and frankly your plasma set has to be a few years old by now so one repair after another, might need replaced soon anyway.

Regardless I'd take the cover off and see what there is to see. If your husband is more electronically inclined then why isn't he posting about the topic? Is he able to safely probe live, high voltage circuits?

My husband already took off the cover and was working with it. He does not like to ask questions on the internet. I don't have an issue with that. He was an autoelectrician as a youth - for years. I appreciate your answer. He also thinks it is better to just toss it out since there could be so many reasons for its problems. As far as the schematic, I was goggling and there were hundreds of prints to look through unrelated to what I needed.

AnnW

May 24, 2018
My googling skills did not find the right schematic.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Mrs Ann . . . . .dubl'ya

It's going to be hard to just toss a weighty 50 inch Plasma set anywhere.

The most needed initial info was the analysis on your part of the source of the origin of the offending sound within the internals of the unit.
With you saying that it was NOT affecting the picture . . .that clears a LOT of the set. If not originating within the sound section, and your confirming that by turning the sound completely off, that would clear that aspect, excluding the audio output stages.
Excepting the fact that noise within those stage could pass to the speaker with the volume set to minimum.
To confirm that, an ear to each speaker will confirm.

OVERLOOKED . . . . .so far

That TV's PLASMA technology is one POWER hog, and if you will look at the units back specifications sticker, you will see it using many-many-many-many amps of power consumption. Possibly, only being challenged by the now cast aside DLP technology "hot boxes", with their $200-400 HID lamp replacement every 3 or so years..
Sooooooooo . . . . they run HOT, therefore, within those units you will find at least 4 and sometimes up to 6 small cooling fans. . . . .usually lined up across the top.

At just about the time frame of use that you are now experiencing on that set of yours , usually a fan will start having a choppy intermittent bearing seize . . . be it just for an instant . . . . . and its accompanying brief sound, not too much later it will lock down and stop working, and put the cooling task upon the remaining units. Then . . . . . overheated modules fail.

After you have cleared the " noise " as not being speaker / sound derived, turn the sound down and then with an absence of any sound.
Inspect to see that all fans are spinning and not having one locked down, ( the prior noisy one) and also listen up long enough time to hear that "offending " noise and see if it can be pinpointed as originating from a fan.
( Usually the sets sound, initially masks these noises until they get loud and frequent. )

Removing 2-4 screws and a plug IS within the capabilities of a layman in replacing a fan (s)..

Taking this units service manual, which I have as being a 26 Meg RAR and zipped file and then successfully extracting ALL of its files to get 341 pages with 48 pages of schematics and then being able to use mental retention acumen to be darting between adjunct sections for analysis,on a computer screen, to enact a down to component level repair . . . . . I think (KNOW) that a layman would have a rats anal orfice chance in hades . . . .in even starting to achieve that task.

PRAY for fan noise origin . . . . . as that big set still has life left in it . . . . and the electric company will just LOVE you and KEEP you on the top of their valued customer list..

Thassssssit . . . . .

73's de Edd

Last edited: