Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Modding Ipod type cable for new use

massahwahl

May 24, 2011
Hi all!

Heres what i want to do: i have 2010 dodge Caliber and it has a port in the glovebox that allows you to plug a 'UCI' cable into it which is Dodges fancy name for a proprietary ipod cable. With an ipod plugged in it allows you to listen to your music through the stereo. I dont have or want an ipod but i do like to listen to music in my car via my android phone a blackberry wireless bluetooth stereo gateway that lets you stream music to it. It has an input for a.mini usb charger and a 1/8" stereo output plug. Right now i have it rigged up to the input on the stereo and the cars ac jack. It works but ideally i would like to mod the uci cable so i can install everything neatly into the glovebox. I cut the tip off of the cable and exposed the inards which are:

Red
brown
yellow
black
blue
green
grey
purple
pink
and a silver/copper wire tbat i assume is ground.

The cable looks like this:
2011-05-24120509.jpg

2011-05-24120540.jpg

So can anyone help me splice together this ipod cable with a mini usb tip and 1/8" audio cable?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There is a lot of discussion about this on a Dodge forum. Take a look at this and see if there are any good answers there. I only looked at the first page.

massahwahl

May 24, 2011
That thread is actually dealing with connecting a uci module to the back of a old style dodge radio.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi all!

It works but ideally i would like to mod the uci cable so i can install everything neatly into the glovebox. I cut the tip off of the cable and exposed the inards which are:

Red
brown
yellow
black
blue
green
grey
purple
pink
and a silver/copper wire tbat i assume is ground.

So can anyone help me splice together this ipod cable with a mini usb tip and 1/8" audio cable?

The prob. is we have no idea what the purpose of each of those wires are... ie.
which ones are + and - are there actual left and right audio lines there or data lines.

only the Dodge vehicle service info would tell you that. Then you would need the pin connection identification of your blackberry connector

which is probably why Steve suggested you ask questions on that dodge forum :)

cheers
Dave