Connect with us

mmwave sensors

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Sing-, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Sing-

Sing-

Jun 5, 2017
    hello there, i just wonder if it is possible for me to get millimetre wave sensors from the internet? I have looked for it on the internet but all i found was mmwave radar which is too large for my product. Is there a small mmwave sensor (not larger than 5x5cm) ?

thanks for your help.

2. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    What is your "product" and why does it need a millimeter wave sensor? Try this Google results page for places to look.
    Of course there is, but you are wasting our time with such an ill-defined request. Do you even know which mm-wave frequency you are interested in, or what bandwidth is required, or if this is some sort of communications application, what data rates need to be supported? In other words, please tell us (in some detail) what you are trying to DO, not HOW you plan to do it. Does your "product" even exist yet or are you trying to "clone" something?

Sing- likes this.
  3. Sing-

Sing-

Jun 5, 2017
    Thanks for your suggestion and sorry for the ill-defined request.

I am trying to make a control system with hand gestures to control smart devices. To do so, I planed to use a mmwave sensor to detect the hand gestures from the user. So I was looking for a small mmwave sensor which is portable to finish the job.

I really want to use mmwave sensors in my product. Is there any suggestion for me? Thanks again.

4. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    The human body does not emit millimeter wave radiation, so your "small mmwave sensor" would sense...nothing.

OTOH, if you illuminate the body with millimeter wave radiation, the back-scattered radiation is detectable using radar principles. Google seems to enjoy the lead on gesture recognition with their Soli Project and tiny sensors capable of "seeing" minute motions of fingers. Here also is a link to a Wired article providing a broad overview of this "bleeding edge" developing technology.

Unfortunately, the technology developed by Google is not yet generally available off-the-shelf at Digi-Key. Maybe next year. Or maybe a lot sooner, if you follow this link. This sort of thing advances fast, and there is a huge world-wide market for gesture-driven human-machine interaction (HMI). But, Good Luck breaking into that without deep pockets for research, development and design! I think I would budget about HK$100 MM for startup costs if going head-to-head with Google. That's just a rectal extraction on my part, but the point is it will be expensive unless you use the Google-developed technology.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  5. Sing-

Sing-

Jun 5, 2017
    [mod edit: 100% quote of Hop's post removed.]

Thanks for the information. Project Soli seems great. Unfortunately I can`t wait for google to publish it... I think I may lower the requirement and use a 24GHz k-band microwave radar for my project. I have found the model CDM324 from google and it seems OK for my project.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
Ask a Question