Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mixing Woodworking and Electronics

crisagh

Oct 16, 2015
Hello all, I'm Cris and I'm a woodworker that's looking to incorporate some electronics projects into my other hobby.
I'm totally new to this experience so I'm hoping to learn lots.
Could someone direct me to the appropriate forum for equipment questions?

Frankly I'm in the very start of this experience and I'm shopping for my kit. Specifically I'm uncertain what direction to take with regards to the Soldering iron specifically. Unfortunately I've got information overload - and was hoping for some kind people to help me choose from 4 options based on what I want to do.

So I think I've narrowed it down but I'm flip flopping on the following options:
The Weller WLC100 40W station - seems to be the basic station and I can get it for around $40.
A cheap knock off of the above weller - I've seen variations for around $20.
A basic Weller pencil type (the 40W with LEDs is avail locally at HD for under 20 right now).
and finally this variable temp Hakko FX600 Pencil type (which honestly I'm drawn to as it seems to be a good mix of both worlds).
Or is this overkill for what I'm attempting and should I just get a cheap $10 type and replace as needed?

Essentially, I'm hoping to modify various electronic to fit some wooden art pieces. eg, my router to fit into a decorative wall piece. As I'm seeing it, this should be relatively simple - desoldering some connectors and reconnecting them via a length of wire. That sort of thing.
As far as "new" creations, I have a few ideas (such as LED lighting for some pieces) but again, not working with microprocessors or anything like that.
Unfortunately, all my research has me flummoxed as the prevailing views seem to be - a good pencil soldering irons are good enough for light work vs all pencil soldering irons are the work of the devil vs. nothing but a good soldering station with temp control will do and everything else is wasting money. Then there's the power - "get the highest power", "if the power is too high it will burn your parts", "forget power, you need temp" etc.
So anyone who'd be willing to give a suggestion?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hello all, I'm Cris and I'm a woodworker
Hello Cris, I'm Martin and I'm an alcoholic.. Oops, wrong forum.:).

My advice is to buy the best tools you can afford. But others have the throw away mentality.
But it all boils down to how often you will be using the tools and of course 'your mentality'.

Do you buy cheap soft chisels and replace them often? Or buy top of the range and they last forever?
Same thing applies here. Would you 'push' your circ saw with a blunt blade? Or use clean sharp blades and it cuts like a hot knife through butter?.
Every piece of advice you get here and other places will be 'their' opinion. You may have to try several cheaper items to see if you like the ergonomics for way of holding something. Then buy the more expensive brand you liked.
My opinion: Personally i'd get the Hakko.HERE. But a cheaper Antex pencil 25w iron might be perfect for you....
Horses for courses my fellow Chippie......

Martin

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I used to use the inexpensive Weller station with uncontrolled temp.

Then I moved up to this, when I needed a hot air station:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kendal-2-In...241092?hash=item20d50b4d04:g:DEcAAOxy79JSYVTM

The difference it unbelievable. The pencil is lighter and easier to handle, comes up to temp very quickly and holds the temp very nicely. I would never go back to one without a temp control.

I can't say anything about durability since I have had it less than a year and use it lightly, but so far I have been very pleased with it.

Bob

crisagh

Oct 16, 2015
Hey Martaine, lol, thanks!. I will say in my defense this thread started in the "intro" forum and got transfered here.

I hear you that it's opinion based, I guess that's what I'm asking about. What are the opinions from people who have USED the tools and would be able to give first hand advice to one with little experience in them, based on what my predicted needs are.

I've worked in various trades over the years and one thing I've discovered is that very often you don't need the greatest and latest - sometimes a cheaper, not as good tool is more than sufficient both in terms of usablity as well as price.
For example if you were to ask me suggestions on tools I might recommend a ryobi over a makita based on what you were going to be doing.
On the other hand, sometimes you REALLY want/need the good tools (it makes the job faster, safer and a heck of a lot less stressful).
So I guess to turn it around, if you were to be giving a soldering iron as a gift (so you are the one paying for it) to someone who would be using it in a hobby situation (but not a PRIMARY hobby situation), who knows and understands tools, has an interest in electronics in general (so they might turn it into a primary hobby) and who is pretty good with tools and instruments in general - which would you recommend?

Rick, I've cinsidered getting a CNC but honestly couldn't really be bothered. I don't need repeatability or the tolerances. I have seen a DIY CNC that looked awesome and I might do it just for fun one day.

crisagh

Oct 16, 2015
Hi Bob, yah that looks good but again, I'm wondering if going up to that price point is worth it at this time. As my example above, I wouldn't recommend anyone who's not going to "need" it to buy a fein if a makita is good enough.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
So I guess to turn it around, if you were to be giving a soldering iron as a gift (so you are the one paying for it) to someone who would be using it in a hobby situation
Good question.
If I thought it was just for the odd bit of soldering, I would buy 'that person' a pencil type £25 iron.
I own 4 pencil types, but my Antex irons 15w and 25w have been with me for 30+ years and are still going strong. In fact, I do most of my soldering with them. And with great results too.

However, for a person starting out and taking a course or knows that they will be doing lots of soldering, I would buy them a soldering station. £50 to £100.
If you could ask every member on this forum, you would get probably as many recommendations.
I never got on with my Weller irons. So my experience is with Antex pencil type.
upload_2015-10-18_1-15-55.jpeg

Martin

crisagh

Oct 16, 2015
Bob - so you're saying that temp control is def the way to go? I did see a review of that unit on youtube (eevblog I believe) where he totally panned it.
What would your opinion be of the Hakko I linked above? (FX600 pencil type with temp control knob) in comparison - given the price is only slightly higher.
Martin - since you're recommending the pencil type, same question, what do you think of that Hakko as a combination?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Cris,
I have never used one. But it says it is temp controlled. Cheap enough too.
I suppose temp controlled irons are the way to go. But if you never had one, you wouldn't know the difference!!

Martin

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
building a CNC mill is easy, you can get a kit of ebay which is all modular and requires little to no programming.

...Hmmm in spite of the CNCzone mainly hobiest site has over 5000 Registered member visitors a day with a maximum total ever of over 13,000, in one day.
Most asking questions!.;)
M.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I have no experience with Hakko.

Once again, my experience going from a good brand (Weller) non-temp controlled iron to a no-name brand temp controlled one made me realize how important temp control is. The Weller was hit or miss whether the temp was right or not. The temp controlled one is always ready at the right temp.

Bob

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
...Hmmm in spite of the CNCzone mainly hobiest site has over 5000 Registered member visitors a day with a maximum total ever of over 13,000, in one day.
Most asking questions!.;)
M.
as i said before YOU CAN BUY A KIT, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUILD ONE FROM SCRATCH!!!