Connect with us

mixing two (possibly) unbuffered audio signals

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by catfarm, Dec 7, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. catfarm

    catfarm Guest

    Im wanting to mix the output of two possibly unbuffered electric guitar
    outputs. The two signals will be coming from 'stomp boxes' where the output
    may or may not have a buffer so I don't want to drag them down.

    I have found references to some simple audio mixers
    ( but Im not clear as to whether or
    not I need to add something like an emitter follower or op-amp voltage
    follower to the input lines in order to keep them from impacting the signal
  2. Practically all guitar boxes have buffered outputs.
    No, they are very high impedance inputs, they influence very very little.

    This mixer circuit is known as virtual ground mixing.
    The input to the op-amp is held by feedback very close to ground.
    The input signals are not influencing each other, because of that.
    The signal cause some, very small, current through each input resistor,
    and the op-amp sums the currents.
  3. catfarm

    catfarm Guest

    What if one of the signals is the guitar itself? Surely that would need some
  4. Ban

    Ban Guest

    It is indeed advisable to use high impedance buffers for pickups, some
    expect more than 100k load impedance from a tube amp, and best would be to
    have these buffers as close to the guitar as possible to avoid the
    capacitive loading of long cables. Otherwise a treble rolloff will occurr.
    Most easy would be a dual buffer made with a TL072 opamp as a follower or
    with low gain, depending on the sensitivity of your pickups. The power will
    probably come from a 9V battery, so you will need capacitors on input and
    output and a voltage divider on the +input consisting of two 1Mohm
    resistors. With the outputs you can directly drive a passive mixer
    consisting of 10k pots with 10k from the sliders to the summing point which
    goes to the amp.
  5. The simple answer is yes.

    But you can change the input resistors on the mixer circuit we discussed,
    each channel can have its own special resistor.

    If you use a 500k resistor for the guitar it will work.
    It needs to be high enough, 1M is normal, 500k should be no problem.

    The other signals may need to be damped a little to fit together with the
    un-amplified guitar signal.

    If you really need to use the mixer as input stage also it is likely
    that it will work.

    On the other hand.. You can easily build a buffer stage for the guitar,
    using only one or two fet transistors. Such a buffer can be built to give
    some tube distorsion, that is it acts as a limiter, compressor.

    You can easily find many schematics for such circuits on the web.

    There are a lot of guitar circuits at
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day