Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Missing parallel resistors

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
...hope the battery didn't cause total destruction... :rolleyes:
Ouch! Last year I wondered why the NiMH cells in my KX3 transceiver wouldn't take/hold a charge, so I opened the KX3 up and discovered one of those cells had corroded and made a mess inside one of the two 4-cell battery compartments. I didn't want to send the KX3 back to Elecraft again right away (it is expensive to do so), so I cleaned up the mess as best I could and left the batteries out. The KX3 works just fine as a home base-station without batteries... and it isn't exactly "portable" anymore if I run it with the KXPA-100 linear 100 watt amplifier attached.

So that's where it stood until after I attended the Dayton Hamvention® this year, where I purchased two packs of four Panasonic AA Eneloop Pro low-discharge-rate (LDR) cells. The chatter on the ham radio reflectors implied these were the finest kind, so I coughed up the big bux and bought a set for the KX3. Today, I finally got around to installing them, but first I measured their terminal voltages: 1.3 to 1.4 volts. They came "pre-charged" and claim to hold up to 70% of their charge for ten years if left unused, so I guess I believe that now. Anyway, after installing the eight cells, I set the KX3 to do a 16-hour charge cycle, which it is still doing as I write this.

I guess I will continue to run the KX3 using my boat-anchor "shore power" supply, and I will check the charge state more frequently now to make sure the cells are still working. It would probably be a good idea to also open the KX3 case once in a while to make sure all is okay inside.

Best wishes for your TI-59 @dorke. My first TI scientific calculator was the SR-50, which I purchased because it had hyperbolic trig functions, which it turned out I never needed to use...
tisr50.jpg

Sometime in the 1980s I was heavily involved in assembler programming for the Intel 8085 8-bit microprocessor, so I bought a TI Programmer:

Programmer.jpg
However, my very first TI calculator was purchased at Sears (of all places, IIRC) in the early 1970s:
tidatamath.jpg

But the very FIRST calculator I got to use was this Friden at the base hobby shop in Smyrna TN, which my father ran during the last year before he retired to Dayton OH in 1962:

friden.jpg

I remember this thing vividly because one Saturday morning Dad allowed me to "play" with it. Big mistake on his part! I somehow got it into a mechanical calculation loop from which it could not exit. So it ground and clanked and clattered and eventually gave up the ghost as the motor overheated and either failed or the fuse opened. It was the first calculator I had ever seen that could actually divide numbers, although apparently not by zero.

Hop