Connect with us

Miniture power supplies ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dxpwny, Jun 23, 2015.

1. dxpwny

dxpwny

Jul 9, 2011
    I frequently do little projects where I want a cheap and small power supply to give me +12v or for some projects just +5v.

A few weeks ago while plugging my cell phone into a 120v charger, it occurred to me ... the charger I used with my phone supposedly puts out up to 2 amps at +5v, and has a simple USB connector.

I've since used it in a simple project and it worked fine. I think I paid $5 for it.
    I like that it is very small .. and 2 amps is more then enough for what I do.
    I'd like something about the same size - that can put out +12v at ~500 - 1000 mA.

Anyone know of something like that ?

All my other AC adapters are about 3 or 4 times the size ... I'd like something smaller.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    the output of the adaptor only needs to be higher than what you are likely to draw from it
    so that it doesn't overheat and burn out

you can happily use a 3A adaptor for something that only needs 0.5 or 1A
    so go for broke and buy a decent adaptor, they are cheap ....

Dave

3. dxpwny

dxpwny

Jul 9, 2011
    And I'd find a +12v adapter .... where ?

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    sold all over ebay and local electronics shops
    or you probably have an old one at home of some bit of gear that is no longer used

5. dxpwny

dxpwny

Jul 9, 2011
    Yes .... they are 3+ times too big .... like I said in my original post. Thanks though

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    so how small do you need it ?
    your limitations may well be unrealistic ?

Dave

7. dxpwny

dxpwny

Jul 9, 2011
    I have a few that output +5v at 1 amp.

They are realistic because 1) they work and 2) they are real.

And .... they are only 1 cubic inch. Those pictured above are HUGE.

8. JWHassler

JWHassler

Dec 22, 2014
    The 5-volt units are cheap and ubiquitous because cell phones are.
    There's only a tiny electrical difference between a 5- and 12-volt power-supply but (comparatively) no market for the 12's.
    That said: look here

9. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Put two together to get 10v. That's close enough.

10. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark, All electronics, Marlin P. Jones, Surplus Traders, Electronics Goldmine, Electronic Surplus, MCM, Timeline, ebay, amazon.

12 volt charger, 12 volt battery charger, 12 volt supply, etc.

ak

11. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    Can you post a photo of that charger. I've gutted lots of wall warts for small power suppl PCBs...and have even been able to change the output sensing resistive divider to change the output voltage. This is with power supplies that use standard ICs.

Ken

12. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Everyone, FYI: I have hundreds of 12V supplies in the same form factor as the typical 5V phone charger. I offered to sell some to the O.P. via P.M. but he's not responded.

13. debe

debe

Oct 15, 2011
    This is probably what the op is refering to that's 5v & about 1 inch cube. Some of the ones from China are dodgy as in picture. The failed one is a Apple copy. USB Aple iPhone L, orig R, Fake.png USB charger.1.png USB iPhone Fake.png

14. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    yeah they love to burst into flame and burn the house down, bar-b-queuing you as you sleep

Ask a Question