Maker Pro
Maker Pro

miniature pulse vibrator

Cooney

Feb 26, 2012
Hello guys, I'm new to the forum and not much of an electronics maker. but I would like to know if anyone can build or tell me what I would need to build a device to attach to a fishing lure. I own a lure company and looking outside of the box for something different. It would have to be very small, waterproof, and would like for it to buzz or vibrate at a rate of 1-2 seconds then off for 3-4 seconds. The smaller the better. If it can be done, I may want it to be mass produced once proven effective. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Hello Cooney,
I couldn't build it for you, but here are some ideas:

For the vibration mechanism you could use a pager motor (sources: ask Google).
A CR2032 battery could power the motor for some time, especially since you want it on only 1/3rd of the time.
A simple NE555 based timer could be used to generate the on/off signal at the desired rate and with the desired on/off ratio. The NE555 should be used in astable mode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC). Use the CMOS-version of the IC for low power consumption.
This all fits easily in a waterproof container (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Container-Airtight-Money-Beach/dp/B002EDCS06). There is even enough space for a larger battery holder for 2 AA batteries/rechargeables which will give you longer endurance than a CR2032. Besides, rechargeables are effectively cheaper and more environmentally benign - my personal opinion.

Regards,
Harald

Cooney

Feb 26, 2012
Thanks for a quick response, I found a 8mm pancake motor, the ne555 timer and thinking about a CR927 battery, can not find a holder for the CR927 and would like to know the size deminsions of the NE555 timer. also is there a such thing as a ultra miniature water activated switch?

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
the 555 timer is a dip8 package. You could look up the measurements or check the 555 timer datahseet for them.

As for a water activated switch, maybe you could use the waters lower resistance to detect when it enters the water. This would then simply be your switch. Not sure how effective it would be.

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
I googled vibrating lures and found a lot of them. Why not something different?

How about a worm that actually wiggles when it sits on the bottom?

I would buy one of those!