Connect with us

Mini theremin?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by neoni, Oct 14, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. neoni

neoni

Oct 14, 2009
    Hi all,
    I've never done anything like this before, so excuse any stupid questions or comments.

I recently got a solar charger and noticed that as the panel was obscured the little LED light dimmed and flickered. I thought it would be interesting if I could attach it to one of those personal attack alarms to make a sort of mini theremin (I'd link to both these things but I'm not allowed to as this is my first post.) My basic idea was to have it beep properly in normal light, but as the solar panel was partly obscured make the noise distort (kind of like a theremin). Anyway, long story short, after hours of trying with them I just broke both.

Would this be possible, though, if I were to buy a small solar panel that was specifically designed to be attached to other things (as opposed to just plugged into the charger's battery pack) and attach it to a small buzzer?

Like I said, I don't know anything about this. How much power would I need to power one of those little buzzers? Would it just make no sound if the solar panel wasn't enough to power it or would the sound change with the voltage (that's what I'd want)?

Anybody tried to make anything like this? Suggestions, ideas? Any help would be awesome.

Thanks guys, and sorry my first post is just asking for help.

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm not sure what you'd use it for, exept for making people go mad.. ;)
    Any solar panel can do it, even the solar charger you mention.
    Many of the piezoelectric beepers work from 1.5-15V and draw less than 10mA at full power, changing their sound with the voltage. If it changes enough for your use I don't know.

Ask a Question