Connect with us

Millermatic 30E dynamic braking question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jzr75601, Jun 27, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jzr75601

jzr75601

Jun 27, 2020
    Hello All
    This is my first time posting on this forum
    I have this old Millermatic 30 E wire feeder which is part of a mig welding machine.
    The problem I'm having with it is, the wire feeder continues to feed wire for a fraction
    of a second after releasing the gun trigger which causes the welding wire to "over feed"
    at the end of a welding cycle.The wire should actually stop immediately to prevent this
    condition.
    The motor which feeds the wire uses "dynamic braking"( large high wattage resistors switched across the motor leads)to accomplish this. .
    So I posted the schematic of which I pointed out the two resistors in the schematic which I think actually perform this function, Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scan_20200625.png
    in hopes that some one might be able to explain the circuit better than I understand it.

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Sounds to me like the burn back controller is playing up.

.......or you have it adjusted incorrectly

3. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    There is an SCR which i think would be switched on to brake. Check this.
    My eyes are too dim to read the device values.

Ask a Question