Connect with us

microwave oven popcorn burn

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by MJH, Feb 14, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. MJH

    MJH Guest

    My microwave (late GE model) for some reason did not shut off via the
    "popcorn" setting and totally burned a bag of microwave popcorn. The burned
    smell is overwhelming. The oven still seems to work OK. Any hints on
    getting the burned smell out? Is the oven likely damaged in any way?

    thanks
     
  2. Try leaving some powder carpet cleaner in it overnight - sprinkle - do not
    heat.



    --
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
     
  3. Baking soda and charcoal briquettes are typical odor eaters.
     
  4. Radiosrfun

    Radiosrfun Guest

    I used someone's microwave with a popcorn setting on it too - and it didn't
    shut off before burning the popcorn. The question may be - how are those
    functions "timed"? I find that when I use 4 minutes on my own unit - not
    only does it do well with the popcorn, but shuts off in the alotted time.
    I've used "popcorn" settings on other microwaves as well with poor results.
    Why bother!
     
  5. Huh? My cheepo microwave makes great popcorn on that setting. No bull ...
    it really does, time after time.
     
  6. Radiosrfun

    Radiosrfun Guest

    I believe you - maybe "I" had a run of goofy ovens!
     
  7. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    Toss a skunk in it for a few minutes.
     
  8. John

    John Guest

    I think the "popcorn" timing is a SWAG by some designer.
    The one thing that does work reliably is the "stop when pops are more
    than 3 seconds apart" from the popcorn bag itself. For our current
    oven, that's 2:15 in the winter and 2:20 in the summer - the line
    voltage is a little lower in the summer with all the airconditioners
    running...

    John
     
  9. hr(bob)

    hr(bob) Guest

    Besides the other suggestions which work, I boil some water for 5 or
    so minutes, the steam seems to help clear out the smell.

    H. R. Hofmann
     
  10. Hi!
    One thing that has appeared on microwave popcorn bags in the past few years
    is a warning to *never* leave the corn popping unattended.

    I have a GE oven that is a nice unit in every regard. (It even includes help
    text that scrolls across the display for every button on it.) Its popcorn
    function has yet to do anything but cause a bag of microwave popcorn to
    burn.
    A fair guess would be to say that a supposed-to-be-reasonable amount of time
    is preprogrammed into the microcontroller. I've seen some ovens that let you
    select a preset (such as dinner plate, muffins, popcorn, soup, etc...) and a
    portion size. I have not seen an oven that actually claims to have a means
    of detecting what is inside it and how much cooking time it will require.

    William
     
  11. Hi!
    Placing an opened box of baking soda in the oven may help. Heating a large
    quantity of water may also help remove the smell. If you move air through
    the room while the oven is operating, that should take even more of the odor
    away. You might also try cleaning the inside of the oven with warm soapy
    water, multipurpose surface cleaner or glass cleaner in a spray bottle.
    Unplug the oven before cleaning it.
    There's only one real possibility I could see causing damage--if the popcorn
    bag got to be so overheated that its contents leaked out, they could become
    burned to the point of becoming electrically conductive. If not cleaned up,
    this will cause arcing in the oven and possible additional damage.

    If nothing escaped from the bag of popcorn, or if you clean it up soon (use
    gentle instruments and cleaners only--nothing sharp!) there should be no
    problem.

    William
     
  12. Look for the word 'Sensor' on it. 2 or 3 manufacturers make these and they
    work well. Mine (Sharp) will cook a range of sizes automatically although I
    never use that function, but the other sensor functions work fine.
     
  13. Jim Land

    Jim Land Guest

    This is in the FAQ:

    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/micfaq.htm#micburnts
     
  14. Jon Danniken

    Jon Danniken Guest

    I know that some older microwave ovens used a humidity sensor to determine
    how far cooking had progressed; I would imagine newer ones would use that
    method as well.

    Jon
     
  15. The manual for my old Panasonic shows a model like you describe. Your
    supposed to put plastic wrap over the dish. When it gets hot enough to
    produce enough pressure to open the plastic the moisture release is what
    stops it. I don't think normal microwave popcorn would have such an abrupt
    moisture increase. Not saying your wrong, just pointing out it was a drastic
    abrupt increase in that model from 25years ago.
     
  16. That's how my new sensor oven works except it expects you to use popcorn in
    a bag.

    --
    ..

    --
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..

    --
     
  17. Bags I use only have a small slot. The size never changes. The new circuitry
    must be much more sensitive.
     
  18. ray13

    ray13 Guest


    Put the oven in a sack
    take it back to radio shack
    and get your money back
    is better than an odor hack
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-