Connect with us

Microwave - fuse?

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by [email protected], Jan 22, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    Hi,
    I opened my microwave today, placed some stuff in and while the cover
    was still open i plugged it, then it blowed with a blue flash. It
    doesnot run when plugged so that's so strange. When i checked the
    general fuse of the house, it was down. Shouldn't it have an internal
    fuse?
    Anyway, i plugged it back and tried, it runs fine but what shall i do?

    Thanks.
     
  2. Jerry G.

    Jerry G. Guest

    It sounds like a major short in the microwave oven. If you are not
    trained in this type of service, I would suggest that you get the
    microwave properly checked, or retire it and get a new one.


    Jerry G.
    ======
     
  3. Hi!

    As a safety precaution, some microwave ovens are designed with multiple door
    switches. Sometimes one of these is intended to short out the AC power going
    into the oven if all the switches don't work precisely as they should.

    I think it is very likely that this has happened to you. Why? Either the
    mechanical linkage in the door didn't engage the switches in the right
    order, or a switch has gone bad. Check the latch pins on the door...make
    sure they are all there and none are broken or bent. (If you find broken or
    bent ones, fixing them should solve the problem...as long as you can find
    any broken pieces.)

    I've repaired microwave ovens with this problem before. Sometimes the
    switches go bad.

    ***BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL*** if you think you have the skills and desire to
    open your microwave oven for service. A mistake made while working on a
    microwave can be immediately deadly. Therefore, if you don't have experience
    with electronic repair, and high voltage circuits, don't even try this.
    Chances are that a repair shop could solve this issue for you quickly.

    Oh, and yes...every microwave oven I've ever worked on has had an internal
    fuse. However, it has been my experience that the house fuses usually blow
    first. I don't know why this would be.

    William
     
  4. It should but that won't necessarily blow first.
    As was recommended by another reply, it should be checked out. Most likely,
    there is a problem with the door interlock switches, easy and inexpensive to
    repair. But given the cost of microwave ovens these days, replacement
    may be a better option.

    --- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
    Repair | Main Table of Contents: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
    +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
    | Mirror Sites: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

    Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is
    ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included in the
    subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
     
  5. Guest

    Thanks for the replies. I was going to call a service but i just
    noticed that it's internal lamp is dead now.
    Is it possible that a light source can cause a blue flash and fuse
    problem?
     
  6. The blue flash certainly. In fact, that's probably the only thing you could
    see from inside the oven chamber.

    In the act of blowing, some lamps can result in a dead short momentarily
    so it's possible

    --- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
    Repair | Main Table of Contents: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
    +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
    | Mirror Sites: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

    Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is
    ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included in the
    subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
     
  7. James Sweet

    James Sweet Guest


    Yes, many times when an incandescent lamp fails it strikes an arc. It's
    quite common for it to kill dimmer switches that way.
     
  8. 3T39

    3T39 Guest

    Hello, !
    You wrote on 22 Jan 2006 05:47:43 -0800:

    a> Thanks for the replies. I was going to call a service but i just
    a> noticed that it's internal lamp is dead now.
    a> Is it possible that a light source can cause a blue flash and fuse
    a> problem?#

    Yes absolutely, every time a light bulb blows anywhere in my house, I have
    to re-set the overcurrent trip.


    With best regards, 3T39. E-mail:
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-