Connect with us

Microwave acts wrongly not working properly!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by realflow100, Jan 22, 2017.

1. realflow100

realflow100

Feb 26, 2016
    it is freaking out and doing random things!!! help!!!
    if i unplug and plug it back in it does another different weird thing on the display!
    also if i keep the door closed partially but not all the way it turns on by itself!
    And every time i shut the door random digits and symbols on the display will light up and no buttons respond.
    we have bugs where we live and they have infested the microwave and we cant get them to go away

Now its doing something weird like when we close the door. it flashes on for a split second after the door is closed.
    The display is working now and the controls work

i tested it and it seems to work i warmed up a glass of water.

but I dont trust it! I unplugged it for now

And my mother is completely clueless and thinks its just fine (and i guess she doesnt care if its a fire risk or not)
    its terrifying and she is so clueless about it!!!
    she doesnt even acknowledge the weirdness of it running for a split second when the door is closed! Why!!
    should we chuck it in the trash and get a new one? I think thats what i will do in the morning.

2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    :eek: If you have no electronics experience, don't even think of trying to repair the microwave. The safest thing to do would be to dispose of it.

davenn likes this.
  3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I agree with this

but before throwing out, you could take it to a repair centre for testing and quote
    but be aware that most repairs would cost more than a new replacement and you get a decent warranty with a new replacement

4. realflow100

realflow100

Feb 26, 2016
    i have some electronics experience I know how transistors work and several similar components diodes capacitors and I can test them, ive got a multimeter I can also solder.

Today the microwave is working just fine and not doing anything weird.
    I dont think its worth it to fix it.. Its a terrible model of microwave. And nobody's gonna want to repair it.
    Its infested with roaches.
    I think we will just throw it out when it stops working or starts acting weird again.

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

wise move :)

6. realflow100

realflow100

Feb 26, 2016
    Anyone have any idea why it would start doing this? could it be an insect crawling across the circuit boards and shorting things to the AC 120v?

7. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Do not try to fix this if it goes bad again. You have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. The magnetron and capacitors in microwaves can kill you.
    Bugs can short electronic circuits. Get them all out of the electronics and into the cooking area. THEN turn the microwave on.
    (Duh. Thanks for fixing that, probably davenn. I shouldn't work on my comm gear when I'm trying to talk about microwave ovens).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  8. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Yes. It accounts for the origin of the phrase "computer bug".

9. realflow100

realflow100

Feb 26, 2016
    if nothing is broken can I just clean it out of insects and use bait nearby it to deter them from entering the microwave and go for the bait instead?
    And cleaning the inside of the microwave cooking area very well?
    Could I use oven cleaner or do I have to use a simple wet rag or magic clean eraser?

10. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    If it works, nothing is broken. It could have been as simple as a bug shorting-out a circuit in the processing controller, and when the short was no longer there, everything works fine again.
    (ANY CLEANING YOU DO, MAKE SURE THE MICROWAVE IS UNPLUGGED FROM THE WALL FIRST!)
    If you try cleaning it out of bugs (the electronics), I suggest using compressed air (if you have access to a compressor, or a can of spray compressed air available at a electronic supply store. (Do you have a friend with an air compressor for air-tools, or some other use, a lot of guys do). (The concern here, is wiping
    a wet cloth across the high voltage capacitors. They can store a dangerous electrical charge even when the unit is
    unplugged).I do not suggest putting bait by the microwave, which will draw more bugs. When the bugs are finished
    dining, they will move into the microwave for shelter nearby. You said there are a lot of bugs in the area. I've had good luck with the 'glue traps' or 'glue strips' most hardware and grocery stores sell for catching bugs. They walk across the surface of the glue, and get stuck to it. That would prevent any poisons in the cooking area of your microwave.
    You should be able to Google the manufacturer for whatever they recommend to clean the cooking area. You don't
    want to use something that will taint the food you cook there later.
    Blow-out the electronics section with compressed air, clean the food-dirty cooking surfaces to avoid drawing bugs,
    and if the microwave works, use it.

Ask a Question