Connect with us

microscope

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by AlenZGB, Feb 23, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. AlenZGB

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
  3. jpanhalt

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
    I skipped through Jones' reviews. I would have a hard time listening to all 27 minutes of it sober, and it's too early to start drinking.

He makes some good points. One thing to remember with microscopes that he touches upon is what can be called "hollow magnification." What you are interested in a microscope is resolution. Cheap scopes may give legitimate 10X resolution at the objective, but then they put a 25X ocular to claim 250 X "total" magnification. I have seen some advertised with magnifications >1000, which is pretty ridiculous.

The scope you linked to claims 50 to 500 X . The 500X is "hollow." 50x is may be legitimate, but it is at the high end of what you need. As an example, here are some images of nature shot at very low objective powers (e.g., 2 to 4X): http://krebsmicro.com/obj_bellows/obj_bellows1.pdf

Another thing to ask yourself is what you plan to use the microscope for. Will it be just for visualizing the objects? Manipulating them? Photographing them? If you plan to use it for manipulating, you probably want a lower power than 50X. Most important, the latency that Jones mentions becomes quite important. A stereo dissecting scope may be the way to go. Here is an example of what I mean, but I am not recommending it specifically: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLOSE-OUT-2...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=4&rkt=5&sd=251456607303&

Finally, if you want to go the electronic microscope route, you may want to check out Amscope. It markets a wide selection of inexpensive student microscopes. I got one for a granddaughter last Christmas and she is quite pleased with it. We will be putting a USB imager on it for her birthday. Amscope also makes dissecting-type of scopes. If you go that route, look for something that has LOW optical magnification, such a 2X or 4X. I wouldn't worry about high magnification. By optical magnification, I mean the equivalent of the objective magnification in a compound microscope.

John

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  4. AlenZGB

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks for replay, i saw the review and if i didnt get something wrong for that price thats good
    microscope, but since i didint have much time to look really closely i just watch over it.

Here in my country ordinary magnifying glass with leds that puts on a table is twice the
    price of that microscope so guess i cant mistake with it :D (ofc if it works right since its chinese product :D )

5. AlenZGB

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
    Oh.
    I need microscope for smd components. Any perticular model you sudggest?

Guess chinese device is out of the pictures XD

Ask a Question