Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Microcontrollers and PWM

KRe8ive

May 26, 2012
I am looking at making a custom LED circuit, which will involve approx 300 RGB Leds which i would like individual control of each color in each LED, meaning approx 900 individual outputs are required. Is there an easy way to do this? I have been looking at micro controllers but most of them i have seen are not suitable for something to this extent.

The load per output would be approx 20mA. The circuit has to be a common +ve, so does this mean i will have to use the likes of a Mosfet or is there such a controller that will do PWM on a -ve?

I would possibly look at running this in 4 different circuits for the 4 different areas that the LEDs will be based in, but with common control. Was looking at using DMX for control, so would have to have at least 2 different units anyway as DMX is limited to 512

I am not very advanced at electronics, just know the basics so any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
There are LED drivers specifically designed for this... You will need to obviously use several of them as I doubt you will find a single 300 LED chip ;) but they can all be controlled by a single micro and act as a single unit...