Connect with us

Microcontroller with both USB and Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Radio and Wireless' started by itsdonny, Sep 5, 2012.

1. itsdonny

itsdonny

Aug 23, 2012
    Can someone please give me some options for a microcontroller with both USB and bluetooth?

Thank you!
    Don

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Many micros support USB native, Bluetooth will almost certainly require an external module... Visit the Microchip and Atmel sites for a vast variety of options for example... And look into the Bluetooth modules out of Asia that can be found on Ebay and the sorts, they are a very cost effective way to implement Bluetooth...

3. itsdonny

itsdonny

Aug 23, 2012
    Thank you CocaCola. I'm thinking of not using usb at all. The only reason I wanted to have it was so the consumer could update the device's firmware via USB. If this can be done via bluetooth then I really don't even need USB. What do you think about updating a device by bluetooth?

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I have never done it but there appears to be a few bootloaders out there that are using a Bluetooth connection... USB is IMO easier and more reliable for an end user to update with though, and the cost is nil to get a chip with USB support built in vs chips that don't have it...

5. itsdonny

itsdonny

Aug 23, 2012
    Thank you, Coca Cola. On a slightly different note would it be possible if I were to use a micro controller with USB support to just simply add a USB dongle like the following?

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wir...d=1348210745&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+dongle

Do you know if these types of bluetooth dongle require a PC or is there a way around that. Somehow these little dongles are far less expensive than regular bt modules that I've seen.

Thanks again for your help!

Don

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    In theory it should work, but you might very well have to write the whole communications stack from scratch to control that module... Likely a very daunting task vs a module that is designed and documented to use standard serial interfaces...

7. itsdonny

itsdonny

Aug 23, 2012
    I see. Thank you so much!

Ask a Question