Connect with us

Microcontroller Programming

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by McDroogie, Jan 6, 2013.

1. McDroogie

McDroogie

Dec 25, 2012
    I'm fairly new to microcontrollers. I'm learning Arduino which I find fairly easy. However I would like to know what the most common method of programming standard alone micro controllers is. Is there a universal board that mounts microcontrollers and connects to the cpu via USB? An example of a microcontroller I'd like to use is this CD4518 which I would like to connect with a seven segment display in the future.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You typically require a different programmer for different families of chips.

There are exceptions, however they're never truly universal as each different type of chip requires a different protocol to program. Even different chips within a "family" can require different protocols.

Look on ebay and you will find heaps of different programmers, but for compatibility, it may be best to stick to something that the manufacturer knows about (like, say, PicKit3 for PICs)

3. pwdixon

pwdixon

Oct 14, 2012
    A CD4518 is a standard logic chip not a processor so you wouldn't need a programmer of any kind.

4. gorgon

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
    The only universal programming protocol I've seen is JTAG and similar family types. This is normally not available for the smallest controller types, that use proprietary protocols and interfaces, as said before.

And yes, there are development boards for most microcontrollers, with USB connection.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
Ask a Question