Connect with us

microcontroller or raspberry?

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by tm_med, Feb 24, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tm_med

tm_med

Feb 24, 2016
    hello,
    i started my internship a couple of days ago,the topic i had to work on has been delayed,so instead of just waiting i decided to look for something new to work on(i'm working in an automotive factory) , i want to work on vision quality control (i want to detect if the machine is making a good or bad metal piece,comparing the picture of a good piece to the one taken by a camera) using an embedded system, i know i can use raspberry and openCV...but i prefer using something i haven't worked(a lot) with before so is it possible to do image processing using a low cost microcontroller?
    thank you.

2. Amar Dhore

Amar Dhore

Dec 2, 2015
    Yes it is possible ,may be :p.. google microchip's dsPICs series, RAM might be a problem. Make sure you have enough RAM for your image or the other good option is
    go for the latest PIC32MZ which has dsp libraries.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  3. pgib8

pgib8

Jul 26, 2015
    Kind of doubtful, especially if you are planning on using a high-resolution camera. All in all, you'll be spending way more time on it than you have to. There are plenty of other opportunities for a uC, that you can use to learn.

4. Hellmut1956

Hellmut1956

Aug 11, 2014
    If what you wrote is really what you want to learn about, than image processing is your objective. I might be wrong interpreting your objectives. A powerful tool and a way to learn a lot is buying a personal license of the software Mathematica from Wolfram Software.
    If you want to get yourself familiar with microcontrollers and their programming an elegant way is using an Arduino board. It is a low investment and their are many tutorials and a rich ecosystem out there. It's IDE, Integrated Software Development Environment, makes it easy to generate the software to have things accomplished. You do not have to spend much effort in learning the software tools and language.
    If your objective is more towards acquiring a wider knowledge of embedded programming and electronics, than the RaspBerry Pi 3B, the latest release is a cheap yet powerful tool. You acquire a wider platform of knowledge as you will have to learn a bit about its Linux os, Raspbian, you would have to learn programming in Python, a very powerful yet easy to learn and start with interpreting tool. There is a very rich ecosystem out there. Buying the camera module, also pretty inexpensive, you would also have the ability to learn image processing. Even there is a Mathematica and a Wolfram Language license available for free!
    I am right now getting in depth into the Raspi and have found valuable sites to learn about Linux and Python and setting up my environment in the way I want to have it. I want to do the programming and debugging on my PC while the interpreter is on the Raspi and the code is executed on the Raspi too. I am studying right now to IDEs which both support what is called cross-platform development, Wing personal Edition from Wingware and PyCharm from Jetbrains. So I will be working with my Raspis from the screens of my PC.

Ask a Question