Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Microcontroller for ECG (Holter monitor)

krneki10

Aug 4, 2012
Since I have very little previous experience with microcontrollers, I'm looking for an advice on which microcontroller to get that will be appropriate for Holter monitoring (ECG signals from external circuit with 3 channels)? It should be ass small as possible with low battery usage (because of for 24 h+ monitoring) and good enough performance for ECG application. As far as connectivity goes, I will use Bluetooth and maybe Wi-Fi, but Bluetooth is crucial for sure. Are there any suitable microcontrollers with Bluetooth integrated or would I have to pair it with external BT module? If that is the case, which combination would you then recommend to me?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I am currently experimenting with an Arduino Uno equipped with a Seeedstudio XBee shield with an XBee module plugged into the shield. Not exactly as small as possible, and it requires significant power, but this is a prototype. Eventually it will all get squeezed down to fit in a wristband. This is not a project for the faint of heart or someone with "little previous experience with microcontrollers." There is a lot of information available on the Internet to get you started. Google is your friend. Anything you can build "as small as possible with low battery usage" will involve SMD (Surface Mount Devices) components, and that's a whole new ball game in electronics construction. Do your homework and due diligence, then get back with us here if you run into problems. For starters, how are you going to provide signal conditioning for the three EKG leads?