Connect with us

Microcontroller block diagram

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by Baxter Burgundy, Apr 28, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Baxter Burgundy

Baxter Burgundy

Nov 18, 2014
    Not homework as such, just exam preparation.

I have a practice question asking for a block diagram of an embedded microprocessor system which is used to monitor and control the safety of a plant. The plant setup is composed of various sensors monitoring pressure, temperature and level, and has various actuators for starting pumps, opening and closing valves.

I expect what they are looking for is a modified version of the harvard architecture of a PIC. I would probably have it interrupt driven with a hierarchy of the primary sensors. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    The inner architecture of the μP isn't at all important.
    A sensor polling scheme is well tailored for this application.
    You should have outputs to all control points.
    Take into account that the sensors are basically analog.
    and that a poling scheme may use a pol-timer.
    Hope you can complete from this point?

Baxter Burgundy likes this.
  3. Baxter Burgundy

Baxter Burgundy

Nov 18, 2014
    So something like the picture I've just attached? And to say that a polling system will be used ranking the sensors in order of CT, PCP, PCT, SCP, SCT, RM, Level, and the use a of PIC 16F877 that has 366 bytes of RAM to store the latest reading from the sensors and results of comparisons, 8K of EEPROM to store critical conditions and a Flash for the code?

Attached Files:

4. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    Something like that.
    Notes:
    1. Each "sensor input " may have it's own resolution (translated to number of bits) and speed of change.
    2. The output of a ADC may be parallel or serial.
    3. It may be possible to use just a single ADC and multiplex the sensor inputs to it
    4. Input from the sensors may need to be condition/amplified etc.
    5. Not every actuator need an output DAC some most probably need to be just on-off.
    6. Most actuator will require drivers,the DAC or output of the μP will not be able to drive them directly.
    7. You probably need to show just the CPU itself in a block and the memory types,timers,etc. in separate blocks

5. Baxter Burgundy

Baxter Burgundy

Nov 18, 2014
    So more like this?

Attached Files:

6. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    Yes, and show the input mux select bits and output drivers connected to the i/o block.
    Add a timer/counter .
    Omit the the pic number-it is a general solution not tight to a specific one μC/μP

7. Baxter Burgundy

Baxter Burgundy

Nov 18, 2014
    Thank you very much

Ask a Question