Connect with us

Meter movement for Simpson 260?

Discussion in 'Electronic Equipment' started by Angela Marsh, Aug 27, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Angela Marsh

    Angela Marsh Guest

    I've had this Simpson 260 series 6, since the early 70's, and the
    movers recently smashed in the glass on the front of the meter

    I know I can buy good used ones for around $50 on ebay, if I just
    wanted another meter, but what about just replacing the meter
    movement in this one? Does anyone sell used meter movements for
    these, for less money than a whole used meter would cost on Ebay?
  2. Aidan Grey

    Aidan Grey Guest

    Have you tried ?

    Aidan Grey
  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    If it is just the glass, then that is simple to replace by making a
    paper pattern and going to a glass shop with the pattern (*NOT* the
    If the needle is partly bent, it can be straightened out - but do it
    slowly and carefully; *NO* sharp bends, else may break the metal.

  4. I have a spare glass and trim ring for a simpson 260, Series 5P.

    Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
    after threats were telephoned to my church.

    Michael A. Terrell
    Central Florida
  5. Jim Yanik

    Jim Yanik Guest

    He can probably get a whole new meter/front panel assy from Simpson
    electric. They still make the 260,don't know about the Series 5P.
    IIRC,they're up to Series 6 now.

    They have a website,Google for it.

    He also might try emailing them and see if they can replace the broken
    glass,if his meter movement is not screwed up.
  6. Aidan Grey

    Aidan Grey Guest

    Have you tried ?

    Aidan Grey

  7. Great idea! What was I thinking, giving away something he can still

    Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
    after threats were telephoned to my church.

    Michael A. Terrell
    Central Florida
  8. Angela Marsh

    Angela Marsh Guest

    I'm a "she" dear. :)
    I just reread this message and went and checked it out with my
    meter. I had to carefully break the busted glass out of there, and
    guess what. The meter movement still works! Yay!

    Now I guess, all I have to do is remove the movement and take it to
    a glass shop and have them cut me a little piece that fits it. I
    can bring a shard of the broken glass so they can see how thick it
  9. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    Be very careful with the movement when it's out or exposed in any way.
    There is a magnet in there, and these tend to suck in minute ferrous
    bits which can keep the meter from moving. You want to be absolutely
    sure that you don't ever put the meter down somewhere that it has ANY
    chance of picking up something like that.

    My technique is to lay down a clean white piece of printer paper and
    set the meter movement on top of that, right in the center. If you're
    going to leave it for any period of time, place another clean sheet on
    top of it. Never bring any tools near the movement until you first
    carefully check the tool tips for clinging bits of ferromagnetic dirt.

  10. Angela Marsh

    Angela Marsh Guest

    Ok, thank you.
  11. Something else you might consider is *not* using glass, but instead
    using polycarbonate or some other plastic. I recently repaired a
    photographic light meter this way using 0.030 material that I got
    from Micro-Mark. It's not too difficult to cut using the score-and-break
    method, and you can do find shaping using sandpaper or a sanding
    wheel on a Dremel tool. I held it in with a thin bead of RTV. The
    beauty of plastic is it won't break - but it will scratch more easily
    than glass.

  12. It can also accumulate a static charge and give false readings, or
    even cause the needle to stay somewhere in the middle of the scale. You
    have to be careful of what plastic you chose.

  13. I still have several spare pieces of the meter glass from dead 260
    meters if you want one. E-mail me with a mailing address and I will
    send one to you.
  14. Angela Marsh

    Angela Marsh Guest

    Yeah, I just went to a glass shop with the front part that holds
    the glass and a shard of the old glass so they could gauge
    thickness. $5. It's fixed. Thanks a lot guys!
  15. RH_


    Aug 18, 2010
    A general solution for old meters -- contact Design Development, LLC, in Wichita, Kansas. DD not only sells suitable replacements, but they also service and restore all kinds of vintage meters -- including refinishing of the instrument (including scale / dial / face).

    They're the manufacturer of "Wilbac" meters (many of which fit Simpson holes), but are quite willing to repair / refurbish / refinish any old analog meter. (see )
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day