Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Metal Halide ballast

billvan

Oct 7, 2013
I have a four 175w metal halide system fixtures. One of the fixtures quit working and when I put the new bulb in it didn't work. I tried the bulb in one of the other fixtures and it worked in them, so it's not the bulb.

The ballast only has a transformer and a capacitor in it. The transformer is 120/ 277 volts, I have 277 volts coming out of it so I assumed it was good. I bought a new capacitor assuming that was the problem but the light still doesn't light up.

Maybe the new capacitor is bad but here is the part I don't understand.
When I check the voltage that would go to the light bulb socket I get 277 volts. If I put my meter lead on both sides of the capacitor it reads 277 volts. If I then connect the these wires to the cord going to the light bulb socket I then don't have any voltage reading at the connections. When I measure the voltage at the capacitor after connecting the wires to the bulb fixture I have 454 volts on the input and 0 volts on the output??????

If anybody has the time and could give me some idea as to what step I should take next to fix this problem I would appreciate it.

Thanks,