Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Metal Can VS ceramic transistors or plastic transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simmon

Jan 30, 2014
What is the difference or advantage of using Metal Can type transistor, rather using black ceramic or plastic type transistors?

The Metal Can type transistor chassis can have it connected to ground or +VCC , this can cause problems when the metal can's chassis touches the PCB board traces which cause a short

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Are you asking us or telling us?

If it's the former you might like to consider shielding and thermal properties

Simmon

Jan 30, 2014
consider shielding and thermal properties

How does the metal can type transistor have better shielding properties? and thermal properties?

Is this the advantage over plastic package type transistors? plastic dual inline package IC op amps or transistors

They make Metal can IC op amps up to 10 pins

But why would a designer choose the metal can op amps and transistors over the plastic transistor and ic op amps?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
How does the metal can type transistor have better shielding properties? and thermal properties?

Perhaps you should investigate this. I've given you a hint, I'm *not* going to do your homework for you.

Is this the advantage over plastic package type transistors?

No, I was just joking. The real advantage is that the designers are vampires and can't stand it that they can't see their reflections in the metal cans, so black plastic causes them less mental anguish.

I didn't say it was *the* advantage. Have you thought that it isn't that one is better than the other, but that they both have advantages and disadvantages?

Have you considered cost?

plastic dual inline package IC op amps or transistors

This is neither a statement or a question.

They make Metal can IC op amps up to 10 pins

True, but not particularly relevant. I could say "they make vehicles with 4 wheels". That is true, but doesn't actually tell you much that is useful.

if you had said "I think the reasons designers pick plastic packages is because metal can packages can have a maximum of 10 pins. Am I right?", then I'd say:

If packages are only manufactured with up to a certain number of pins then saying that a designer chooses to use plastic packages for more than 10 pins is similar to saying that you choose to breathe -- you have little option.

But why would a designer choose the metal can op amps and transistors over the plastic transistor and ic op amps?

I've already answered that. There's no point in repeating the question.

If there's something you don't understand then Google it. If you still don't understand, come back and tell us what you've found out and what doesn't make sense to you.

If you think you understand, say "I think the reason X is true is because of Y. Am I right?" Then we can indicate if we think you're right or not and provide more hints if you need them.

And your question is not precise. Are you asking why designers might pick a certain package when there's a choice, or why manufacturers might choose to produce a part using one or the other (or both)? There may be some overlap here, but the flip-flopping from one to the other doesn't help.

tryppyr

Oct 22, 2013
The real advantage is that metal cans give a circuit board that vintage look and feel that all the circuit geeks yearn for. The more pins the better, because it makes the circuit designer look smarter.

In all seriousness, Steve's hint was reflected on a couple of the "top hat" transistors on the oscilloscope boards I worked on. The extra added accessories gave a couple of the metal cans a "dapper" look, and revealed why they were used instead of the plastic ones, which were clearly available at the time.

- Greg

Simmon

Jan 30, 2014
I still don't understand the difference between the metal can IC op amps and transistors VS the plastic versions

Can anyone tell me the differences? and advantages?

tryppyr

Oct 22, 2013
Hmmm... it seems unlikely someone will just come along and give you the answer. What does that suggest in terms of next steps?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I still don't understand the difference between the metal can IC op amps and transistors VS the plastic versions

Can anyone tell me the differences? and advantages?

Somebody very recently asked a similar question and was given an answer. It is here.

In the immortal words of Yoda: "Homework for you to do it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.