Connect with us

Memristor Applications

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by stpatrick, Mar 24, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. stpatrick

stpatrick

Mar 24, 2012
    Hi all,
    I'm undertaking a project on the memristor (charge controlled variable resistor) as part of my final year project. I need to come up with applications for the memristor and so far I have found that it works well as a switch which leads onto it being used in logic gates.
    Have any of you any ideas of simple applications that the memristor could be used in which I could investigate as part of my FYP.

Thanks in advance,
    St.Pat

2. GonzoEngineer

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
    Really?.........do you have a Memristor?

Man, I googled the **** ouf of memristor.....

You can't buy them anywhere.....not even on Ebay. And lord knows, if it exists it'l be on Ebay.:D

Couldn't even find a" Memristor Datasheet"........or a part number.....or a manufacturer;)

If you have one, please post a picture......or post one on Ebay!

I will be the first to bid on it.........:D:D

3. stpatrick

stpatrick

Mar 24, 2012
    Yeah your absolutely right, they cannot be purchased but there characteristics can be modeled... I'm using a model that I found on the web and I have tested it in both Pspice and also hardware and it works like a treat.. so now I am going to use it to model an and gate but that is all of the applications which are straight forward enough to implement.. Any Ideas?? what were you looking to use the memristor for??

4. GonzoEngineer

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
    I was just pulling your leg!:D

I am a hardware Engineer.

And If I can't have the part in my hand, and some specifications that are promised in a datasheet, it is of no use to me.......:D

Wish I could help you more:cool:

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    How about using it for MEM(ristor)ORY?

Harald

6. timothy48342

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
    Data is normally stored as 1's and 0's, but now you have somehting that can store values between 0 and 1, or between any other extreams. Wouldn't work well for instruction code, at least not as we know it. Wouldn't work well for text and ascii. It would work nicely for analog audio and images. It seems like it would work well for storing measured values, like time or temperature for instance. It might (might , might , might) work very nicely for Artificial Intelligence. It might be much closer to the way that the human brain stores information. I'm just spitballin', that's all.
    -t

7. GonzoEngineer

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
    Well, I guess I will admit, we wouldn't be where we are today without imaginary components like thisthat preceeded them.

8. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Charge controlled variable resistor? Arent they called capacitors? :p

9. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Is it? Not necessarily. That's what you see at the pins of a memory IC. But internally things can and do look differently. Look up multi-level FLASH cells.
    You could store for example 4 different analog levels in one memristor cell. This is equivalent to 2 bits. Any of the 4 analog states can be read as one of the 4 possible 2 bit combinations.
    Or 8 levels equivalent to 3 bits.
    Or ...

Harald

Ask a Question