Connect with us

Mechanical mechanism of electric latching switch

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Stretto, May 16, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Stretto

    Stretto Guest

    What is the mechanical mechanism called that behaves like a flip flop/latch
    on your basic push-button switch? When you push the switch in it makes
    contact and latches it in that state, when you push it in again it releases.
    Obviously there are many ways to achieve the behavior mechanically but I'm
    trying to find information on the subject but nothing I've searched for
    turns anything up on google.
  2. Most are special applications of cams, I think.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
  3. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    It's called a "latch" ;)
  4. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    Bite the bullet: sacrifice a switch. Crack it open, examine the mechanism
    and poke around until you understand it, (or at least what it's doing),
    then come back and tell _us_. :)

    Consider the cost of the switch "tuition in tech home-school." ;-)

    Have Fun!
  5. Grant

    Grant Guest

    You don't have to open the switch, the mechanism is under the spring at
    the front of it, between the mounting plate and the switch electrics.

    There's a pivot that follows a heart shaped path in the plastic moving
    piece of the switch, the trick to making the pin travel only one way
    around the heart pattern is a hard-to-see incline and step in the groove.
    No cost, just pay close attention, first to the movement around the
    track, then to what makes that movement go in one direction.

  6. Guest

    "On/off push button switch" in contrast to a "momentary push button
    switch". An "on/on push button switch" would be a double throw type. Take
    a look at digikey's listing of switches for examples.

  7. Winston

    Winston Guest

    "Push-Push" and "Alternate Action" are also applicable.

  8. It is called a "ball point pen".

    As with any alternate action, there have to be two distinct storage
    devices. One can be temporary.

    Many thanks,

    Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073
    Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
    rss: email:

    Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
  9. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    Do they even make them any more, or did they go out with vinyl LPs? ;-)

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day