Connect with us

Measuring voltage current phase shift

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jeanguypataterubberboot, Jul 9, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jeanguypataterubberboot


    Jul 9, 2013
    Is there a way to measure the phase shift between the voltage and current in a circuit on a scope? Or is it just done mathematically ?

    This may be a dumb question but I'm a newbie and still learning this stuff.

    Thanks for the help

  2. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    There are several ways.

    One is to use a dual channel scope to show voltage on one trace and current on the other (ensure you get the right mode for this on an analogue scope!). Current is measured with a current probe or by looking at the voltage across a series resistor. Be careful with your grounds!

    The other way is to use X/Y mode on the scope. This will draw a line (or shape) which tells you very clearly what the phase relationship is between the signals.

    There may be other ways
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day