Connect with us

Measuring volt-amperes

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Fred C., Nov 19, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Fred C.

    Fred C. Guest

    I have a spec for a furnace accessory that requires 2VA (volt-amperes)
    minimum from transformer (120VAC to 24VAC.) I can measure the 24
    volts, but how do I determine the volt-amperes? Many thanks.
  2. Louis Bybee

    Louis Bybee Guest

    The VA, or Volt Amp requirement has already been determined for you. The 2
    VA rating required by the furnace accessory you have is well below the
    capacity of most small transformers of the type usually used for furnace
    control devices. Assuming your device requires 24 VAC (quite common with
    heating systems) you should be able to purchase an appropriate transformer
    that mounts to an electrical box from an outlet supplying the heating trade,
    electrical supply outlet, etc.

    A simplified calculation of your situation would yield:
    VA/Volts= 2/24=.083 amps. Not exactly a high current device.

    Not knowing your skill level, or knowledge of such things, I would urge you
    to consult an electrical, or HVAC technician before actually engaging in
    your project. Quite often heating control devices (depending on the furnace
    type) are utilized to switch line level 120v or greater) voltage.

    Remove the two fish in address to respond
  3. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    The transformer itself should have come with a specification that tells
    the maximum volt-amps it can provide.

    Good Luck!
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day