Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Measure Transformers

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
Hi all,

So I have a number of small and somewhat large transformers and would like to know how to measure them. Identification is futile as transformers are typially custom for each application (and, I've tried and failed), but all that's really important is knowing voltage and current input and output. Is there any way to measure this?

Only way I can see is to apply power to one side and measure with a volt meter, but I feel as if that would result in various dangers and problems, such as fire, shock, and destruction of the transformer, power source, and/or volt meter. Any better ideas?

Thanks in advance.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
There are many kinds of transformers.
Mains
Intervalve
Speaker
Inverter
Pulse
High voltage

Taking mains transformers.
Find the windings with a meter.
Measure the winding resistances.
Put 6V across the highest resistance winding.
Measure the voltage across all windings.
Calculate the turns ratios.

You may now be able to guess the primary winding, Connect to the mains via a light bulb to limit the current and measure all voltages.
You can get an idea of the permitted current from the winding resistance, compare with a known transformer.
You can get an idea of total transformer power by comparing the weight with known transformers.

Use an isolating transformer.
Connect up then switch on remotely.
BE VERY CAREFUL.

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
It is. I just need to find such a power source.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It is. I just need to find such a power source.

Some low voltage AC source should be fine. Just as long as you can measure it and compare it to what appears at the other side(s) of the transformer.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
... And be very careful how you measure "the other side(s) "
there may be in excess of 100VAC. keep fingers away from probe tips and transformer leads. Preferably use some crocodile clip leads between the meter and transformer leads

exercise the saying of an old and wise technician ... keep one hand in your pocket

Dave

Last edited:

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
I assumed as much. Most of these are power transformers, so if I want to live I figure safety is helpful :)

At the moment I'm finding a way to create a 6VAC source. Literally everything I have is DC, aside from wall power which I don't even want to try messing with. I've been shocked by 240V, but through a messed up ground connection on a gas dryer. I don't want to know what full 120V power feels like.