Connect with us

Measure temp, humidity, brightness

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by davidova, Dec 1, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. davidova

davidova

Dec 1, 2017
    Hi guys!
    I have to make a project which includes the rs232 protocol and must be programmed in assembly language.
    I decided to measure the temperature, humidity and brightness in the room. All I know is that I need 3 sensors, a protoboard, and that stuff I need to connect with the computer through a serial communication.
    I really have no idea how to realize this :)
    Any help?
    Тhanks

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Arduino, appropriate sensors based on I2C comms, software to collect and send via RS232 port or USB-enabled serial link.

3. davidova

davidova

Dec 1, 2017
    Thank you for replying.
    Is there no other way, without arduino?
    I am pretty new in electronics.
    Have a nice evening

4. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    There are, of course, other methods however you have to convert the sensor data to a form that you can manipulate for serial transmission.

'Raw' sensors will have an analogue output which will require conversion to a digital signal hence the recommendation for the already-converted signals offered by I2C devices - the I2C is the communication protocol between the sensor and the micro controller suggested. You could use other processors..... basic 8-bit like 8085, 6502 (old school), PIC processors, STM32 etc etc.. the markets are replete with various options.

Either way you will be required to manipulate serial data in some form or other - for that is what RS232 is - and doing it with something other than a processor would be tedious to say the least - signal processing, analogue to digital conversions, parallel to serial etc.

I only recommend the Arduino as there are ready-made libraries for reading the I2C communication from the sensors - if you want to make the project harder than it needs to be then that's your decision but if you can show your reasoning behind the processor choice then your tutor may acknowledge your reasoning (probably) and the exercise seems more directed to the serial protocol manipulation (generating the appropriate data packages) than the hardware behind the sensors....?

Perhaps?

hevans1944 likes this.
  5. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Why is there a "requirement" to program this microprocessor (whichever one you choose) in assembly language? Is this for an assembly language course? Or is this a hardware-oriented course?

RS-232 is a hardware protocol specifying a means to asynchronously exchange a serial data stream. Many microprocessors are available with internal UARTs (Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitters) and all you need add is the hardware to translate their logic-level signals to RS-232 level signals and vice versa. In any event, as @kellys_eye said, you will need to convert your sensor data from whatever form it is presented to you, into a serial data stream and then send that data stream as an RS-232 signal. A microprocessor is needed to accomplish this task efficiently. And I2C is a hardware protocol that will simplify the interfaces between sensors and microprocessor.

Does this thread belong in the ELECTRONICS HOMEWORK HELP forum section?

Ask a Question