Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Maximum Voltage in passive capacitive circuit

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
I'll tell you I don't understand why that matters. There is nothing in post #1 about phase shift being part of the question or answer.
Nevertheless, phase shift can be an important part of a circuit, especially an oscillator.

also, *any* circuit with nothing but Rs and Cs will have phase shift. That's kind of a thing.
Not the circuit I presented, and the circuits shown in the reference submitted my the Electrician. Those circuits have a zero phase shift at a particular frequency. That is a stone cold fact.

The StackEx circuit and the single-stage version I described in #4 are lossy charge pumps. Seems simple enough.
And here I thought that charge pumps only accumulate DC voltage. My circuit increases sinusoidal voltages. I learn something every day.

Note, I think the OP has abandoned this thread.
Or is completely satisfied and somewhat awed by our answers.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
I think the intent of the original question was to stay focused on the behavior of ideal components, and not wander off into stray reactances, assembly techniques, phase of the moon, etc.

ak

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
To the Ineffable All,
I played around with the circuits suggested by the article posted by The Electrician in post #17 of this thread. I got the sinusoidal amplification up to the theoretical maximum of 1.16 zero to peak from 1.0 zero to peak. The equations in the article are interesting and they agree with what I calculated on my own. If anyone is interested in their derivation, let me know. Source voltage frequency is 260 Hz.
Ratch

fsonnichsen.JPG