Maker Pro
Maker Pro

maximum length for telephone extension

greadlee

Nov 19, 2014
What is the maximum length for telephone cable between Panasonic PBX and normal SLT phone

what i mean is the extension cable from the pbx and the phone , not the cable coming from the central office

and what is the best PBX to give me the longest lenght ?

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Very long.

Ask the PBX manufacturer what the maximum distance is. They probably have special equipment if you need an extension even further away.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Very long.

Ask the PBX manufacturer what the maximum distance is. They probably have special equipment if you need an extension even further away.
I didn't respond to this earlier. There is no easy answer.
Phone lines deal with some decent voltages, and can easily handle a few volts above/below spec... the question becomes one of the capability of the specific PBX being used.
Many residential VoiP services installed by one of the region's service providers simply disconnect Telus at the box outside the home, and simply connect the PBX to an unused phone jack in the home... This requires the PBX to deal with the run length from the jack to the box, then back from the box to the customer's handset. This can be anywhere in the neighborhood of 200 feet depending on how the electrician wired the home.
You also need to remember that any extension you plug into the jack will be an 'addition' to the wiring in the wall to the box.
You also need to consider that any non-standard wiring caused by Do-It-Yourselfers can make a huge difference if you plan to rely on any part of pre-existing wiring.

*The Box is the access box usually located on the side of your home protected by a special security screw / latch that the service personnel carry. This is usually (in a properly wired home) the single point at which ALL phone lines join together prior to being connected to the line leaving the premises.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
When I was in telecom, many yrs ago, the PABX (PBX) systems were often situated in a comms room in the basement, close to where the main phone cables coming into the building were terminated. The systems had no problem feeding phones 20+ floors (levels) up

As steve and gryd3 said ... check for specifics with the manufacturer ( that info should be in the spec sheet anyway)

Dave

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Also keep an eye on the REN number of your equipment and how many devices per line, just as important.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Also keep an eye on the REN number of your equipment and how many devices per line, just as important.

its a business PBX system, there should only be one phone per extension line

unlike a home system where there can be multiple phones around the house all on the one incoming line

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
See the first line of the OP, "Panasonic PBX" is a bit if a give away ;)

elisagrace

Nov 27, 2015
Ordinarily distance between the two is ordinarily 1000 meters. I have read the installation guide for KX-TES 824 and it says that its maximum length is 1100 ( so i think iam good ) but there is one question , the cable available in the site is 200meter a roll so to make the full distance i have to use 6 rolls and join them together. I am using Panasonic PBX in my office and it provides long length.