Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Maximum current supply tolerable by 1A Motor driver IC

BlueCerealBox

Sep 30, 2014
Hi,

I'm using this particular motor driver IC(http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/427/sip2100-519775.pdf) to supply bi-directional current to a magnetic torque rod. I intend to control the Input A & B pins with my arduino uno. I also powered the IC with my arduino board and obviously got laughed at by my friends, I didn't know that arduino uno boards could only supply a maximum of around 200mA of current. So I'd like to ask:

1. I am planning to power the IC with a DC power supply this time, I plan to give it a Vcc of 5V, how much source current should I supply to this IC?
  2. On the datasheet, I am not sure what the Sa and Sb (pins 1 and 4) pins are, the datasheet says they are driver output returns, but I have no idea what that means.
Thanks!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Here are some answers:

1. How much current does your magnetic torque rod take? That is what the power supply should provide + a margin of safety. Note that the chip is not limiting the current to 1A, that is what it can handle safely. If the device draws more than 1A at 5V. then you have chosen an inappropriate chip.

2. They are grounds. Not sure why they are separated out, but normally the would just be connected to ground of your power supply.

Bob

BlueCerealBox

Sep 30, 2014
Here are some answers:

1. How much current does your magnetic torque rod take? That is what the power supply should provide + a margin of safety. Note that the chip is not limiting the current to 1A, that is what it can handle safely. If the device draws more than 1A at 5V. then you have chosen an inappropriate chip.

2. They are grounds. Not sure why they are separated out, but normally the would just be connected to ground of your power supply.

Bob

Ah, alright thanks for the help!