Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Matching Wattage

Ozburg

Oct 24, 2012
I need AC power adapters for 160 LED panels I bought on eBay that are made only to accept batteries. Unfortunately none of the sellers I came across had the power specs for the panels. After searching, I finally found a seller from China offering a power supply for my specific LED panels. It is way over priced, so I decided to just match the specs and make my own adapter. The specs on the power supply is 7.5V 2A. If I understand the math to figure wattage, then that would be 15W. I bought the LED panels and power supplies. But, when I decided to get one more panel, a seller I found had specs listed for the panel with a max of 9.6W. After doing a broad google, I found another seller with the same specs listed. If this is true, won't a 7.5V 2A power supply burn out the LED panel, or shorten it's nominal life span? The most cost effective power adapter I can find close to matching the max Watt is a 7.5V 1200mAh. How significant is the effect the wattage difference would have on the LED panel?

MrEE

Apr 13, 2012
The wattage rating of any power supply can be higher than the intended load (actually higher is better because you won't be running it to its limit). Assuming your panels dissipate a maximum of 9.6W, then a 15W power supply is perfectly ok.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
However, the voltage must match. What was the voltage spec for the panels?

bob

Ozburg

Oct 24, 2012
I purchased two brands. One is DC 7.2V~8.4V, the other DC 7.2V~9V, and stilll some others I might also get are listed DC 5.5V~8.4V. It was because of the 7.5V adapter I found being sold that I was defaulting to 7.5V, hoping it would be the best for the light output.