Connect with us

Massage Chair Fault

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by jdogg, Nov 19, 2011.

1. jdogg

jdogg

Nov 19, 2011
    Hi. I have a massage chair that is failing to complete an initializing sequence at start up and therefore will not operate. I have limited electronics knowledge and found a capacitor with a split skin on one of the circuit boards. I've replaced that but it has made no change to the fault. I was wondering if it is likely to be an IC problem. Any suggestions are greatfully received as I can't justify buying another chair. Thanks.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Show us a picture of the circuit board.

Also give us specs on the capacitor that was removed and what you replaced it with.

3. jdogg

jdogg

Nov 19, 2011
    Circuit Boards

Hi Steve. Thanks for your reply.
    The old capacitor has 103K 630V printed on it and the replacement I was given at the electronics shop has 2J103K on it.
    I've taken a picture of both boards as a whole and a close up of the replaced capacitor which has the old one and a spare new one in the foreground. The old one has a burn mark right where the split is. It's on the other side to the writing. Let me know if you need a pic of that.
    To see the location on the board, look at the left board towards the top just above the heat sinks. This board was mounted in the back section of the chair and presumably controls all the motors with all those relays. The other board was mounted in the base under the chair which I guess is the unit that interfaces with the control pad.

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Can you show me an inage of the "split" in the old capacitor, and indicate if this side was pointing to the laet or right in the first image.

I am suspecting that the damage may have been caused by the transistor to the right.

Also see if you can get the part number of the transistor to the right of the replaced capacitor and indicate if the other two transistors nearby have the same part number.

Whilst you're getting part numbers, there are three heatsinks on to the left on the first image. Can you make out a part number on the component(s) on these?

The second image is OK to give me an idea of what the boards look like, but has far too little detail to make anything out. If you can get a more detailed image, preferably taken without a flash that would help. A similarly detailed image of the reverse side of the first board would also be useful. The images need to be sharp and detailed enough for me to read the smallest writing on them.

If you have (or have access to) a scanner, scanning the board is a really good way to get an image.

edit: also... Do you have a multimeter, and do you know how to use it?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  5. Dan_68

Dan_68

May 1, 2011
    When you say it fails, how. Does it move at all. Explain what you are having problems with. I have a massage chair i bought faulty. It has a rolling wheel in the back and would go to the top and freeze. All it was, was the limit switch it was suppose to contact slightly moved and it didnt touch it, a simple adjustment to that got it working.

6. jdogg

jdogg

Nov 19, 2011
    Hi Dan. Once the chair is powered you press a start button and the main massage unit in the back performs a motion test to find the top of your back. Then it is ready to start a massage cycle which you select a mode etc. This initial stage is doing it's normal actions but won't finish the calibration. The LDC shows it just stuck in this mode. I've tested motors etc and it's not limit switches.

Steve. Thanks. I'll get back to you with this tomorrow if that's ok. Got dinner guests at the mo. I do have a Multimeter and only know how to test voltages etc. Wish I new how to use one properly for electronics.

Thanks to you both for responses. Much appreciated.

7. jdogg

jdogg

Nov 19, 2011
    For Steve

Hi Steve
    The capacitor was split on the transistor side as you suspected. Pic attached.
    I've tried to put together some more comprehensive info and pics as per your correspondence.
    Now there is one thing I missed mentioning as I did this repair some time ago. The transistor you mentioned to the right was also replaced however with getting the part no.s etc I see it is slightly different. Not sure if it matters but perhaps it does.
    I've taken high res shots of the board front and back and have made a crude diagram labelling most of the components. Hope that gives the info you need.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

8. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    The replacement of the BTA12 with a BTA16 seems safe.

However the soldering of that replacement triac (the BTA16) looks rather suspect to me.

Can you get a sharp closeup of that?

If not, try resoldering the three connections to the triac. If you soldered that replacement capacitor then you appeared to do a better job on that than the one done on that triac.

You also need to be very sure that there are no solder bridges between those legs, but it looks more to me like the centre lead has a very poor connection.

9. jdogg

jdogg

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks Steve. I did check all that and seems to be fine but I'll have a go at resetting them and see if that helps. Will let you know.

Ask a Question