Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Marantz NR1605 clicks on then goes right back off

StealthRT

Sep 4, 2010
Hi all.

So I bought a Marantz NR1605 A/V off of eBay "as-is". The description reads:

Marantz NR1605 AV Receiver As Is, no returns or guarantees Shipped with USPS Parcel Select Ground. This was a new receiver purchased in approximately early 2015. The receiver still turns on but I think during a power outage/surge something happened to the HDMI in/out capabilities. The receiver is included with the adapter, manual, and remote control

They are correct - it does come on but only for a few milliseconds before turning off. I bought it thinking that it probably would just be a blown fuse or something I could see a burnt component on the board that I could replace.

Opening it up I found a total of 4 fuses. Each fuse looked just fine. Nothing blown. Examining the board(s) inside they all seem clean and shinny/new looking. Nothing on the board(s) look burnt or leaking in any way.

However, I am unable to figure out what the steps are in order to take each PCB board out in order to see what beneath it - if there are any more fuses or check for something burnt/leak.

I have taken a good amount of pictures in order to let you see what I am seeing. Perhaps you would be able to spot something that I have not. Or better yet, let me know how to go about taking the PCB boards out. I also have 2 videos showing it coming on and then off and also what it looks like on the LED screen when it comes on.

ALL Images here

20200815_134751_compressed-jpg.214832
20200815_134819_compressed-jpg.214833
20200815_134834_compressed-jpg.214834
20200815_135859_compressed-jpg.214835
20200815_140111_compressed-jpg.214836

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
After taking great care to note note /mark where each cable goes, I'd probably start by removing the vertical riser boards on the edges of the top pcb.
Screenshot_2020-08-17-12-10-23-1.png
You may need to buy or make up jumpers in order to test boards out of chassis.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir StealthRT . . . . . .

That unit uses a GIANT power transformer for its linear power supply and a smaller switch mode one that runs >48 hrs per day . . .if plugged into AC power.
The latter is mounted onto the side at the side of the amp , at its rear side near the AC input power cord..
On your first photo it shows the fuse clips missing their fuse ? You must have had it installed earlier to get a frontal display.

Here is your info on disassembly within the first 20 pages or so.

BUT . . . . MY first action, after reinstalling that missing fuse, would be to unplug the plug at the top right corner, as is fed by orange and white wires.
Looks like it probably will need the units plastic front / bezel's screws loosened to then just barely be able to let the plug move upward.
If the frontal display then lites, and then exeriences no timed shutdown. The main audio power output section and its power supply needs to be checked out.

To further differentiate, look at your last photo with the white plug that has the 2 red and blue wire pairs.

Plug the earlier mentioned plug back in and then remove this new plug to isolate your MAIN audio power amps section.

MARANTZ TECHNO REFERENCING . . . . .

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/nr1605.shtml

73's de Edd.....

Due to COVID 19, I'm moving to Mars next week . . . . . so if you just happen have any extra packing boxes laying around. . . . .

Last edited: