Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Maplin or CPC?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
It depends on what you want and where you are.

CPC is part of Farnell and can supply almost everything.
Maplin has local shops and you can check stock before you go there.

I use both. You should also consider RS and Cricklewood Electronics.

The trouble with CPC is that they bombard you with catalogues.

Ben James

Feb 24, 2015
Well I at school I studied electronics which I loved so going back to it again and building an electronic door lock.
So suppose I need an array of components

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
Before you start consider this. What happens if the electronic door lock fails? If you use fail secure you get locked out, if you use fail safe you let unwanted visitors into your house. A project for an electronics starter? I think not. Not if you want to employ a locksmith, only to stand outside for hours to wait for them, or want the unwanted visitors into your house and take all of the things.

Gather basic knowledge of electronics, start out with some simple projects. Make things. When you become advanced this, in my opinion, is a valid project. It is just that if ONE wire/component slips out of place your system is likely to be useless.

If you want my opinion on the shop selection, Maplin will sell you all the things I can think of that you would need for your door lock. Integrated circuits, voltage regulators, capacitors, resistors and so on and so on.

I hope this helps,

Ben James

Feb 24, 2015
Hi Lavaguava

Sorry I didn't explain its only going on the shed lol

I made one once before and enjoyed it so going to have another go at it. Don't worry it won't be used on any type of property that houses people or expensive possessions!

Ben James

Feb 24, 2015
On a different note I've just been browsing Maplin and come across this.

Looks amazing!!!
Has anybody used this at all?