Connect with us

Makita polisher not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by VTI_16V, Dec 21, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. VTI_16V

VTI_16V

Oct 8, 2017
    Helo guys... I am heaving trouble with the makita polisher (didn't picture excact model)... It stopped working... The power cable is OK except for one thing, the ground is not connected anywhere, but that should't stop it from working? There are too many wires coming from the switch so i have no idea how to test switch... All i got was continuity between blue from power cable and theese 3 wires below when i pressed the switch, when I let it go than there is no continuity... what should I test and how, the brushes are also ok... What are all thoose wires coming from the switch anyway?

Attached Files:

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Have you checked the fuse on the plug (assuming there is one fitted)?

Check the mains input lead carefully along its length for cuts/breaks.

Measure its continuity from the plug 'live' pin to the brown wire at the switch - do the same for the blue wire.

If you get continuity on both then the 'trigger' may be at fault or the speed control module itself may be faulty - and a replacement required.

3. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir VTI_16V . . . (Beta version)

Since that cord probably does get a kajillion flexes, place an Ohmmeter in its lowest range, then touch probes to confirm what a short reading produces on the display . . . and its alternate display . . . when the probes are apart..
    Take some bare copper wire or a jumper lead and short the AC cords plug at the end.
    Meter probes go to, and are held to, the BROWN and BLUE leads right at the power switch, Confirm a short reading at the meter . THEN . . .
    Have a second person pull, flex and rotate the length of the whole power cord every 5 cm all along its length with heavier emphasis on PULLING to see if an open connection ever shows up.
    Cords good ?
    You have the BROWN and BLUE power leads that go into the switch and also there is a common buss nearby that has 3 or so same connections being plugged into it. Place one OHM meter probe to it and see if there is continual continuity to either the BROWN and BLUE or the GREEN ground wire. BTW two of your white wires are related to the twisted wires going down to the white rectangular block suppression capacitor.
    Now at the other side of the switch there are 3 push on wire connections along the top.
    Place one ohmmeter lead to the BROWN " HOT" AC line wire going into the switch and test to all 3 of those terminals with the other ohmmeter lead . . .expecting no connections.
    Do the same after moving the ohmmeter lead to the BLUE " NEUTRAL" AC line wire going into the switch and
    expect no connections there, also.( Also try the GREEN wire to see if it is involved also.)
    NOW you want to press and lock on the switch to a permanent ON position and then test between the BROWN, BLUE or possibly the GREEN in order to see if your switch is passing connection thru to to two . . .or three of the connections on the other side.
    If so, power would be passing thru the line cord, also the switch and that only leaves the black box adjustable speed controller or the series arrangement of the motors field and armature windings and the brushes, of which, you . . .sort of . . .seem to give a thumbs up / validation to them.

Do you need to adjust the speed or it just a basically set it and forget it, at either a max or minimum speed ?
    If it is being the units solid state speed controller . . . look at :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-631...959715&hash=item33cd0db940:g:~RIAAOSwuspY-kCl

HOWEVER THIS IS BEING THE 120 VAC VERSION . . . .YOU need its 220-240 version.

To test the motor proper would require closeup pics of its armature and field coil wiring.

73's de Edd

4. VTI_16V

VTI_16V

Oct 8, 2017
    Now that's a really good troubleshooting guide :D... Thank you, i will try for few days and let you know the results :)...
    Btw if i don't mind speed adjustment to work, which wires should I connect? And one more question, can this polisher works without capacitor or can not? Just for information :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
Ask a Question