Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Makita charger diode

timshrub

May 22, 2010
Hello all. I'm trying to repair a makita battery charger and need to identify a diode.
Diode is marked as either 16N8H or H8N91 not sure which. Any help would be very much obliged. Thanks

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I have even more questions for you than you for us; why do you think it's a diode, and why are you not sure which? That kind of numbers may also be found on MosFet's.
Does it say diode on the PCB? A picture or a better description might help us help you.
Either way one of the numbers may be the Amps and the other number may be the Voltage (less a zero).

timshrub

May 22, 2010
Hello Resqueline
Thanks for the reply. Its definitely some kind of diode, the pcb is clearly marked with the diode symbol and the component is labeled as 'D5'. It has a black plastic case marked at the cathode end with a silver ring, the numbering is also in silver. I thought diode codes always started with '1N' ? Obviously not, they don't make it easy for us newbies!
Hope this helps, thanks again.
Tim (timshrub)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Here are some diode symbols. Which one is it?

timshrub

May 22, 2010
Hello Steve
None of those actually! Sitting here looking at the pcb, the symbol looks a bit like a capital 'M' with long legs. Now I've looked a bit closer, all the other diodes (some of which are definitely run of the mill glass germanium diodes) have a symbol which is a white rectangle with a white bar at the cathode end. Probably means this is something a bit more exotic, right? I'll try and take a picture, just need to work out how to post it.
Thanks for the reply.
Tim :)

timshrub

May 22, 2010
d1.jpg

d2.jpg

Here are two photos, one of the diode in question, and one of the symbol on the pcb (marked D5, next to the burn mark....)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Does the diode still have diode action (i.e. are you sure it was dead?)

If you can photograph the opposite side of the board then we may be able to discern the function of the diode and suggest a plausible replacement.

timshrub

May 22, 2010
d3.jpg

Here's a shot of the reverse side of the pcb with the diode mounting holes about in the centre of the frame.
The diode was tested with a dmm with one of the leads removed and showed almost equal resistance in both directions. As I understand it, diodes of any type should exhibit very high resistance in one direction. The diode has also been so hot as to burn a groove of its own shape into the material of the pcb.

timshrub

May 22, 2010
None of the brown staining caused by overheating was due to me by the way.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Here is a composite image that may help.

I don't think there's enough of the component side visible though.

Attachments

• d1b.jpg
    d1b.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,073

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
D5 is part of the R4, R5, C5 snubber circuit. They are there to take the top off the switch-off voltage on the main power transistor to protect it from breakdown.
You can replace it with any high-speed high-voltage switching diode. 1A & 600V should suffice, switching speed should be as low as you can get. Size doesn't matter.

The M-shape of the symbol is just due to the hole for the pins cutting off the silkscreen print. It should be same shape as on all the other diodes there.
Oh, and glass diodes are not by definition germanium. No germanium diodes have been made in the last 40 years. You probably meant small-signal switching diodes.

timshrub

May 22, 2010
Hello Resqueline
Thanks very much for the advice, now I can proceed. As I said, I am just a beginner and there is absolutely no substitute for experience and knowledge, which I obviously lack.
Very much obliged.

Thanks also to you, Steve, for your contribution, things sometimes seem a bit hopeless when you don't know anybody you can ask about these things.

Tim
Denmark

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
You're welcome, glad to be of help. I was in your position once too you know.
When I mentioned low switching speed above I was thinking low numbers [us]. When/ if you locate a probable replacement please get back to us.
Steve, you seem to have too few tasks at hand.. ;) I'm impressed you actually did a composite image.. Wow! :D

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Steve, you seem to have too few tasks at hand.. ;)

Actually I'm off to the US in a week or so and I'm as busy as a one armed paper hanger.

Just spending a few moments here from time to time...

I'm impressed you actually did a composite image.. Wow! :D

It was pretty rough, but I hope it helped.

timshrub

May 22, 2010
Hello again
Regarding the replacement diode for this makita charger I'm working on, I've found various suitable replacements on the internet. They all seem pretty beefy compared to the faulty component but otherwise have the required specs. As far as the switching speed goes I'm not really sure what to compare with. How low is low?
Here's what I found, what do you think?

Fairchild RHRP3060
NXP BYC8-600
Diodes Inc. RL205-T
Fairchild RURG3060
Sanyo RD2004LS (400V 20A)

timshrub

May 22, 2010
Just found some more which fit the Current/Voltage requirements but there is no mention of them being a switching diode. What makes a switching diode a switching diode?
Thanks
Tim

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
RHRP3060 & RURG3060 are 30A, way too big to fit & certainly costly.
BY8C-600 is 8A & hyperfast (30 nanoseconds), also quite a bit overkill.
RL205-T is a 2A standard diode. At least it'll fit, but don't go for a standard one.
RD2004LS has marginal voltage and total overkill current.

I they're not mentioned as being switching devices then they're not. Reverse recovery times below a microsecond starts to be useful.
Look for terms like fast, superfast, ultrafast, & hyperfast. That's the order of their rated "speediness". And there's no need to go much over 1A, better to up the voltage.

How about choosing a supplier first and see if they have something useful. Being in Scandinavia you may have easy access to Elfa. Check them out if so.

timshrub

May 22, 2010
Finally! I think I've found a suitable diode. This was after working out that some manufacturers refer to them as 'Fast Recovery Rectifiers', this gave a few more hits on Google.

The diode is 1N4937, seems to fit the bill, what do you think Resqueline?

Thanks
Tim:)