Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making waves into DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
Hi,

i'm trying out this experiment where waves are picked up and then turned into DC. I have drawn up a schematic and also tested the circuit. Using a multimeter i got 5.82 V at the tap. However, there might have been some mistake as i did place a -5v voltage regulator and would like someone to have a look. Also i was using a 9v batt to run the circuit.

My objective was to power up the antenna and have the waves coming into the antenna get chopped up and turned into DC output.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
by waves I assume mean an RF signal ??

tell us more
show circuits of your plan so far

Dave

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
I wasn't sure if negative power is best to power the antenna so i just tried it and got 5.82 V. The positive power seems interesting to try. Also i think the antenna line to the bridge rectifier should be on top. What do you think?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I think your circuit makes no sense at all.

What are you trying to do.

Where do you measure this 5.8V?

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
agree with Bob

it makes no sense
what does the antenna on the left supposed to do ?
what does the antenna on the right supposed to do ?

explain very clearly what you are trying to achieve

Dave

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
It feels like the beginning of an energy harvesting project.
If so, please read here for some additional details : https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/rf-energy-harvesting-project.269555/

Only other possible use I can think of is attempting to make an analogue signal strength meter, and this is the beginning stages.

If not, please go into greater detail about what you want it to do, why you want it to do, and what you expect it to do. Please remember that more details help, so spill the beans and let us know :)

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
To Bob, the 5.8v i got from my multimeter comes from the tap at the coil. I placed the negative probe on the negative side of the battery and the positive probe on the tap after the coil.

The antenna on the left is supposed to be powered up so it can attract waves then be fed into the bridge rectifier and so on. The antenna on the right is part of an amp which connects to the LC tank. I just used the LC Tank and amp so i could test the output dc coming out of the bridge rectifier, voltage regulator and filter caps.

To Gryd3, yes you are correct. It is harvesting energy but i wasn't sure whether negative energy or positive energy would be sufficient for powering up the antenna. As i know that their are 2 sides on the bridge rectifier to fit a coil, i have instead fitted the positive side with the incoming power source and have the output as the negative. After all a bridge rectifier only has 4 diodes with 2 inputs so there shouldn't be any problem.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
To Bob, the 5.8v i got from my multimeter comes from the tap at the coil. I placed the negative probe on the negative side of the battery and the positive probe on the tap after the coil.

The antenna on the left is supposed to be powered up so it can attract waves then be fed into the bridge rectifier and so on. The antenna on the right is part of an amp which connects to the LC tank. I just used the LC Tank and amp so i could test the output dc coming out of the bridge rectifier, voltage regulator and filter caps.

To Gryd3, yes you are correct. It is harvesting energy but i wasn't sure whether negative energy or positive energy would be sufficient for powering up the antenna. As i know that their are 2 sides on the bridge rectifier to fit a coil, i have instead fitted the positive side with the incoming power source and have the output as the negative. After all a bridge rectifier only has 4 diodes with 2 inputs so there shouldn't be any problem.
I urge you to read the post I linked further up and visit the link I provided.
In addition to the notes in the link I provided, the 'waves' you are trying to pick up are not really waves. It's noise, caused by 100s of wireless devices, cell towers, mains power lines, poorly designed power supplies, etc. It may be a wave 'from' any single device, but when multiple waves mix, they have complex interactions with each other.
Perhaps you should take a step back and attempt to make your own wireless charging pad, or see how much energy you can harvest with 'sound' without an amplifier first.
If you manage to find a super efficient way to harvest then props to you, but that circuit is not it.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
OK, in other words, the 5.8V is the battery voltage.
So the amp is there only to determine if you are producing power from the antenna. Why not use an LED?
If you find any negative energy, I will nominate you for the Nobel prize.

Antennas are not powered, and they do not attract waves. They either radiate waves for a transmitter, or they respond to waves, producing a miniscule current for a receiver.

Bob

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Actually I would like to take back my comment about negative energy. Since energy is the ability to do work, I have encountered negative energy (the ability to undo work) in a couple of people who I have worked with.

Bob

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
The concepts @Electro132 has are wrong in so many ways... this whole thread is an energy sink, and I am so sorry I am responding to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.